MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:12 AM

Ti Framelock Thickness?

What is the thinnest thickness of Ti anyone here has used successfully for a framelock that provides reliable function? Thanks in advance for your input and advice.

www.spartanbladesusa.com
Old 09-30-2009, 08:47 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I would think that any thickness down to about .050 could work based on the idea that .050 is about the average thickness of the locking liner on a liner lock. As long as the knife was small enough to be rigid with a frame that thin it should work. I've actually used .062 for a framelock with a 2" blade and it has been in daily use for over 5 years with no sign of failing.

As long as the thickness is matched to the size of the knife so that the frame is rigid it should be fine .....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-30-2009, 08:53 AM
Skilled

The folder in the pictures uses 1/8" titanium for the frame, and it's typical of the frame locks I've made. You can make your frame lock in different thicknesses and still have a good knife. I would choose my material thickness based upon what I wanted the finished knife to look and feel like. If it's a small gent's sized knife you could go with 3/32 stock. If it's a big honkin tactical folder and you need a thicker handle, go with 5/32 or thicker. The frame lock isn't really any stronger than a liner lock with bolsters, it's just simpler. You still have to thin down the area on the lock that pivots. I've seen some flippers, both frame and liner locks with scales, thinned down to .035". Now that's pretty light to keep pressure off the blade so it swings easily. On the one in the picture I believe I thinned it down to around .055-.060", strong but easily pushed with your thumb.

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SpeckledTacFold4.jpg (101.8 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg SpeckledTacFold3.jpg (49.2 KB, 58 views)

Old 09-30-2009, 09:27 AM
Hall of Famer

I agree with all of the above.

The size of the knife determines how thin the liners can be. I've never used less than 3/32" Ti for a framelock. In fact, all of mine have been made with 3/32" stock, because when I made my first one I ordered a large sheet and still have part of it.

Even on a small knife, I like the looks of 3/32.

Tags
blade, knife