MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 01-05-2002, 11:45 PM
dogman

Spine material choices?

Since I have the folder shop in full production now, I have been wondering what the best choices for spine material are? I have been using ATS-34 since it is readily in my shop. What are other good choices?

BTW, I find making the spine to be the most aggravating part of the knife.
Old 01-06-2002, 06:26 AM
doug timbs

On plain working folders I use ATS34 as well,if weight is a problem you can drill out the backbar or you can use titanium.
I use titanium on dress folders because I use a lot of filework and it gives a nice effect when anodised.
If you are using a damascus blade it's nice to use a damascus backbar,this looks good if you have the blade meet the backbar when open.
I don't realy think it matters what you use as long as it suits the knife,at least it lets you use up some of the mountain of scraps that we all seem to have.

Doug
Old 01-06-2002, 11:47 AM
ansoknives

on the folder I am working on I used Damasteel. I found out that the scraps I had laying was increasing in size with 1/100" or so and that made it possible to find the right size with no machining needed.
Old 01-06-2002, 11:07 PM
neil charity

Bob, I use 416 almost exclusively, it is easily filed after I heat treat it whereas if you use ATS or 440 it really should be heat treated to achieve maximum stainless properties which makes it a REAL pain to file. That being said if you just want a plain spine it really doesn't matter what you use.

Regards from Australia.

Tags
blade, knife, knives