MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-04-2004, 11:40 AM
Guru

Bending Steel

Somehow it got around my work that I make knives and I actually have some orders. I am almost done with the first one (I will post pictures) and ready to start on the second. (My second and third knife I have made) I am exited to be selling some already and hope to use the money to work towards a good belt grinder. I am using files at the moment and it is slow.

Anyway to my question. This order is for a neighbor who is an EMT, he wants a beltbuckle knife. A coworker has one he wants me to pattern it after. The blade is 3" and strait. the handle is the buckle and it is curved. Now I have some 440 C and O1 steel on the way. Is there any method you would recommend for putting a gradual bend in the steel. Would O1 work better for me because of the need for bending?

I was thinking of 2 possibilities: 1- Clamp the steel into a vice and use a acetylene or propane torch to heat it up and then bend it. (How hard would it be to gradually bend rather than having 1 bent location? 2- Heat up the steel and pound it on the round horn of an anvil.

If anyone has tried either methods or both, which worked better? What things should I try to avaid? Or do you have another idea altogether.

Thanks for looking at this. I really appreciate all your help.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:19 PM
Skilled

One option is to have me do the heat treating

Seriously tho you can bend steel in the annealed state with your hands and a vice. Or gently hammering. What ever will acheive the curve you are seeking. After heat treat it will stay put.

Steve

Old 02-04-2004, 12:20 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Either steel will do. You may get some responses telling you about how the grain size will grow and other tales of horror and they are probably all true - and irrelevent.

I make forks from those materials and that requires considerable bending. I use an acetylene torch and do the bending on a small anvil or just with pliers when possible. Then, normalize the steel and heat treat as usual and you'll be fine.

It is even possible to bend the steels after heat treat as long as you keep the heat away from the cutting edge. I'm not saying any of this is a great idea for a survival or combat knife or anything where extreme hard use and reliability are both required but I'm making a fork and you're making a belt buckle knife. Don't lose too much sleep over it ...........

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-04-2004, 12:32 PM
Guru

That is good to hear! I was worried it would mess up the steel if I used the stainless. I sure love this forum!! Thanks for sharing all your knowledge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
Old 02-04-2004, 12:35 PM
Guru

One follow up question. When you use an acetylene torch before you bend are you looking for the steel to get to a certain color before you bend? Or do you just try and when it bends you bend it?
Old 02-04-2004, 12:51 PM
Skilled

David,

Have you decided to bend before or after heattreating?

If you bend before you don't need a torch.

Steve

Old 02-04-2004, 01:20 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I try to use the minimum heat possible. The color is usually a dull red. I apply some steady bending pressure with a pair of pliers and when the steel is hot enough it starts to bend.

Steve is right, of course. If you bend before HT then you probably don't need the heat. Sometimes I use the heat anyway. My decision to use the heat or not simply depends on whether or not the metal is thin enough for me to bend it smoothly and controllably the way I want it bent if I don't use the heat. For instance, I make one knife where I have to twist a short piece of steel 90 degrees. The steel is only 3/32nds thick and about 1/4" wide but to twist it that far without heat is very hard to do with my weak old hands and might damage the steel, so I heat it .......

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-04-2004, 01:32 PM
Skilled

Ray is right, of course.

I'm a stock removal kinda guy and work with annealled steel. So I'm always thinking in those terms. I forget that if you are forging your steel isn't annealled until you make it so. But if you are forging anyway do it while it's hot - like ray says.

Also, I was thinking a gentle bend in the tang. Listen to Ray for anything beyond that.

Gee David you got 2 percpectives at once. Hope I didn't confuse anyone.

Steve

Old 02-04-2004, 01:47 PM
Guru

I will definitely be using some heat because this will be made from 1/4" steel. (very hard to bend while cold) Steve, I had honestly never even considered bending it cold and will probably use that method in the future on thinner steel. You did not confuse me, I love getting the many different points of view. That is honestly my favorite part of this forum. Also Steve, I will be sending out for the actual heat treat (unless I use the O1 but I am leaning towards the 440 C at this time) how much do you charge? I didn't think to look on your website it is probably right there. I am going to look now. But if it is not please let me know. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:02 PM
Skilled

Hi David,

Sorry I don't actually do heattreating for other folks. I was laughing at myself because I have a problem warping stuff.

Right now I have a kitchen knife that cuts corners. Hmmm.. maybe that's a feature!

Belt buckle knife - 1/4" thick! Be sure to post a picture of that design.

Steve

Old 02-04-2004, 02:05 PM
Guru

Steve,

I just got through checking out the website. Nice knives! I especially liked the hunters. It's too bad you don't have a life though!!! (for anyone wondering why I would say such a thing refer to Steve's website and go to the About section.) I also liked the vice you have a picture of there. I might have to try to make one of those.....

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knives