MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 08-25-2003, 03:06 PM
Living Legend

Question Bruce Evans Metal Sheath Tutorial

Hi guys,

Don't know if this would be better here or in the Historical forum. I friend who has bought a couple of blades from me would like me to make his son, who does SCA, a dagger to go with his outfit. The dagger should only be a moderate amount of problems, the main ones will be the sheath. I would like to attempt a metal sheath using Bruce's tutorial. The problem is that I will be using various stainless steels on the dagger, 416ss for the guard and 303ss for the pommel, also using some of Bruce's other tutorials. I don't want to use NS for the sheath as this dagger will be carried in all sorts of weather and the constant cleaning and polishing of NS would be annoying. I want to use some form of stainless steel, but if I understand it 303ss can't be soldered. The only other chooses I have is to solder 410ss for the body and 416ss for the throat.

Can these steels work? Any answers or suggestions for things I over looked are appreciated.

Thanks again,
Jim

Last edited by Drac; 08-26-2003 at 05:36 PM.