MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 07-01-2005, 07:57 PM
Enthusiast

Question Part-timer Questions

I'm another part time knifemaker,(only since about '01), with dreams of earning at least part of an income doing something that I really enjoy. I have begun preparing for the day when I can go public. I have designed my shield logo, a company logo, and trademark blade stamp. I already use the shields and blade stamp on current projects. I have experimented some in digital photography, as well as 'mission', and 'disclaimer' statements. At present I don't take orders as I know it would be extremely difficult to meet expectations given my limited resources (TIME for one) and skill level. AND, like many others I have a family, a professional occupation, as well as the 'castle maintenance' to think about. I am not yet near retirement, therefore I know that I connot maintain a year round business efficiently. Is it a good idea to spend my time preparing exclusively for having a table at the big Blade Show, selling all the fruits of the prevoius years' labor??? ALSO, if my work is proffesional, would this be appropriate given my lack of experience. (Would some in the community frown on such an 'upstart"?) Sorry so windy, 'been six months since I was here last, Thanks WALKER
Old 07-01-2005, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Hi Walker!

Welcome back from your extended abscence!

I think that it would be a mistake to just make knives in hopes of selling them if your only going to attend one (or two) major shows. One of the biggies is name recognition. In order to do that, you have to be putting SOME knifes out there for the public. Otherwise most folks will just glance at your table as they walk by. It's not just enough to create a quality product any more...There are a ton of people out there doing that. What you have to do is get your name out there, along with your knives. Over time, if your style and workmanship are appealing, things will go your way. The second part of that equation is to treat everyone as you would like to be treated. Your personality and the attitude you put forth to the public are just as, if not more important, than the quality of your work.

Shows: The way I look at shows is that although knives are sold there, that's not really what it's about. Shows are your time to be face to face with the public. It's your time to sell yourself. Usually when someone buys a custom/handmade knife, the knife is not the only thing they want. They want a little piece of the maker. People come to visualize the maker when they see or talk about his/her knives. At the Blade Show this year my cowboy had came up missing at the airport. Now I don't wear a cowboy hat everyday, but it is ALWAYS on my head at a show. Many people walked right by me, and came back later saying "There you are! We've been looking all over for you, but didn't see a cowboy hat....so we thought you didn't come. (to the show) The hat is something that the public has come to expect from me, and without it, I'm just another face in the crowd.

Another thing you mentioned in your post, that I feel is very important, is how you mark your knives. I strongly believe that the knife should have your name on it. If there is a logo, the maker's name should be the most visable portion of that logo. Why? Because I can't count the number of times that a person has shown me a custom knife they really like, and asked me if I knew who made it because they wanted to purchase another. Had there been a name rather than some elaborate stencil, the maker could easily be identified, and likely would have sold another knife.
Without YOUR name on a knife, customers cannot identify the maker, and unless the logo is very well know, it will lower the value of that knife on the secondary market.

Finally, get quality photos of your work, and send them to all the knife publications. It will cost some money to get the quality photo work done, but look at the magazines and see which studios are getting images published. Your chances of publication are better if your photos are by one of those studios. Don't get down it photos don't appear right away. It took me over two years of sending in photos (and a couple thousand dollars of photography work) before I got my first picture in one of the major publications. It's just plain old paying your dues.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 07-02-2005, 12:14 PM
Enthusiast

Smile Part-timer reply

Hi Ed, Thanks for the warm welcome. I agree that selling is nice but the recognition you spoke of is my ultimate goal. I enjoy people and talking knives. Thankfully, I seem to have the urge to speak to just about every person I come in contact with, if only of the weather! I believe it's the polite thing to do. I can't say for sure but I think the style of knives I'm making has a traditional kind of uniqueness, if that makes sense. Something I'm not seeing when I look through all the knife publications. I'm sure it is out there, just sort of forgotten about. I can make the pieces, but I've not the patience to make duplicates, therefore each is a numbered one of a kind. I do place my shield on every one with the name 'WALKER HANDMADE' clearly visible. My photography has yielded perhaps one in about twenty 'studio' quality shots, and I plan to send one to BLADE magazine for the Knifemaker showcase section. It would thrill me to no end just to know that thousands of people had at least turned the page that my work is on! Currently, only about a dozen of my knives are in the hands of customers or friends, but as time permits I'll make more! Although I do tend to be stubborn, your valuable advise has not fallen on deaf ears!!! Thanks, WALKER
Old 07-02-2005, 06:50 PM
Skilled

Ed's point about name recognition is important, my knives are marked with my full name over a maple leaf to denote Canada. A cute name like GET Knives doesn't cut it.

The next problem is getting your name out in the public and that can take some time and money for advertising. More time than most people realize actually but the internet helps.

Shows are never a sales event for me. For the most part it is time to meet and greet the public, renew relationships and build new ones. Sales are good but I measure a show success in the number of contacts I have made and customer that I have met.

My advice is to take advantage of free press available in new product announcements, build your local customer base and reputation first because you will get more bang for your buck in your own home region than going to a large show like Blade before you are reasonably well known. It is easy to get lost in that crowd down there but a wonderful place to visit at least once.

Tags
blade, knife, knives