MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:47 PM

Furnace Bottom....

I am building my furnace out of some 8" sch 40 pipe, but my plan is to cut the bottom 1/4 or so off to utilize a flat bottom. My question is, when using brick for the bottom, do the brick seams need to be sealed? I am using Kawool 2" insulation. I felt it better to add the flat bottom instead of using bricks to accomplish the same results. Thanks for any input....I will get some pictures up soon........
Old 02-11-2013, 05:44 AM

Sounds doable but a lot of extra work for naught. Just get a masonary cut off disk and slice some hard firebrick thin to fit the bottom of the curve on top of the insulation. Unless you plan on chunking heavy things into the forge, it will serve you better as you will lose heat through the brick if it's not inslulated from the outside. Now, if your plan is to do welding in the forge, you need to rethink more issues than just the floor.
Won't hurt to fill any seams with the same masonary you use to coat your wool.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 02-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
With kawool, just purchase some "1/2 bricks" (same as normal firebricks, but only 1/2 as thick, and put them right over the kawool for the "floor".....the kawool has enough give that the brick(s) will nestle neatly in the bottom and you won't loose any of the insulation value. Plus it will save you a bunch of work!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 02-12-2013, 05:31 PM

Thanks for the tips.....but I have already cut and welded the 1/2" plate for the floor. I also chose to use 10" in stead of the 8".......might be a mistake but I can always add insulation to decrease the space to heat. I am going to mount 3 burners, most likely will only run 2 but we'll see. The piping and plate are what I have around the fab shop anyhow........thanks again.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:35 PM

That's a good idea Ed, that is what I am going to do. I will probably just place 1" thick on the floor then the bricks. Then use 2" on the doors and remaining insides. I hope you get to feeling better.......
Old 04-09-2013, 08:09 AM
Banned

Chamber Furnace Manufacturers

Material Sciences is one of the major constituent of modern day physics and even chemistry or physical sciences as a whole. In the same way metallurgy is an important and makes a major part of material sciences.

Thanks
Old 04-10-2013, 06:21 AM

I do pretty much the same as Ed suggested, but instead of buying extra bricks just "slice" up broken bricks I have laying around. The furnace bricks are easily cut with masonary disc in your sidegrinder and you can trim them for a custom fit.
What kind of fuel supply will you be using? A 22#r (BBQ size), won't maintain adequate pressure long with 3 burners running and you will have a freeze-up problem. Best bet is 100# tank or bigger - allows more evaporation space for the gas in the tank the more you use giving more consistant feed pressure.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
building, coat, custom, flat, forge, material, mount, supply, tips