MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 09-24-2005, 02:21 PM
Skilled

PayPal Problems? Things I Didn't Know About

I have used PayPal in the past and never had any real problems. I came across this link: http://www.paypalsucks.com/ and from reading the items on this website it really makes one think about your money and where it is going and if you are going to be able to get to it the next day. I am not posting this to speak for or against PayPal, just to let everyone that uses PayPal know that apparently there have been problems with the system.

Old 10-05-2005, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
As with any "system" I'm sure it's far from perfect. Whenever you have something that such a large number of people are using, the design must be to accomdate the MAJORITY, and there will always be problems with it for various individuals.

I use Paypal too, and studied it carefully before I got involved. Some of the things that I would suggest doing with Paypal to decrease your chances of problems are.....

1. Start a totally seperate checking account as your "Paypal" account.

2. Ensure that checking account can, and does have the availability of a debit card/credit card that is attached ONLY to that account. (use that debit/credit card as your Paypal account credit card)

3. Keep ONLY the minimum amount of money in that account that you need. As soon as a large sum is paid into that account via Paypal, withdrawl all but your "minimum" amount, and place it into another account. That way if there is a probelm, ALL of your money will not be "locked up".

These are just some of the things that I have done in order to try to head off any difficulties before they occurred. So far I've not had any probelms with Paypal, although I do get the spoof emails on a daily basis telling me that there are "probelms" with my account. What closely for these, and forward them to Paypal. NEVER, EVER, click on any links in a suspicous email, and if you recieve a questionable email, always go to your "MY EBAY" and check to see if the same message is there. If it's not, then it's a fake.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 11-20-2005, 11:51 AM
Steel Addict

PPl

I've been using PP for several years now and have never had any problem. I've heard all the horror stories, and have even had people tell me that if they find out that the incoming funds has anything to do with knives, I will lose it all. Well, I do knife business with them almost daily and no troubles yet.

Old 11-20-2005, 03:11 PM
Skilled

I was not speaking against PayPal as I use them as well with no problems. They offer a good service for the money. These sites that are against them may just well be someone that was a crook and is out to cost PayPal in terms of lost customers. I guess I shouldn't have posted it but I just came across it and thought there were some that might be interested. I guess I should delete this thread as it serves no purpose.

Old 11-20-2005, 05:06 PM
Steel Addict

Delete it?

No, please don't delete it. People need to be aware of what "can" happen, and Ed's suggestions are very useful for those entering into this online thing.
I sell on various auction sites and have had gun dealers, etc. tell me off losing their money through paypal because it was arms related, but I suspect it probably had more to do with being non-ebay sales...since paypal and ebay are joined now..

Old 11-21-2005, 12:29 AM
Master

I had a person hack my Paypal account 3-4 years back and try to withdraw a large sum I did not have, good thing paypal sends out notices. I got it stopped but they froze my account and would not unfreeze it until I sent then a bank statement to verify I was who "I" said I was. Very smart, but did not want to share with them my banking transaction info so I started a different account using a different bank account, not problems since.

Paul Vandine

Tags
knife, knives