MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-03-2002, 04:26 PM
trail angel

Teflon/Oven Cure

I have just used it on a knife....
I buffed the finish on a wheel afterwards which made it look very sleek .....not too sure how it will keep though...it seems pretty tough but I am sure it would scratch or chip with hard use...

Anyone else any experience using this or a similiar product...any advice?

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2002, 06:32 PM
Ray Rogers

Teflon

Your post didn't say what product you used exactly. I have used the Teflon/Moly coating from Brownells with good effect. You're right, it will scar and scratch with heavy use but it is remarkably difficult to really wear it off the knife. I have a 6" bladed knife made of O1 that is coated and I've used it every day for almost a year now to split firewood in the morning. I use a piece of wood to hammer it through a log lengthwise to split off kindling to start the fire. The metal shows through in the high spots but most of the coating is still there...
Old 05-04-2002, 06:14 AM
trail angel

Re: Teflon

Ray,thank you for your reply.
I am using the same...from Brownells.
I sanded down the spine to show the metal (carbon steel) and around the edges of the handle slabs, so in effect, I have the steel showing all around the outer edges ( I also thought there would be less chance of the teflon chipping on the corner edge).

It sounds like you have had some success with it....how did you prepare your knife before you sprayed it on...any advice?

I am going to use my knife as a working knife to see for myself how it wears.

Old 05-04-2002, 06:23 AM
aiiifish

I acid etch my blades before I apply the gun Kote. Seems to work better than sand blasting.
Steve
Double S Custom
Old 05-04-2002, 08:27 AM
Ray Rogers

Teflon

I sand blasted the metal to prepare it. Interesting side note here: This particular knife has a Linen Micarta(R) handle. Since it was a test knife anyway, I decided to do an additional experiement by completely finishing the handle before I applied the Teflon. The handle had epoxy under it which could stand a bit over 200 degrees. I cooked the teflon at about 200 degrees with the Micarta(R) and the epoxy on the knife and everything came out fine. Not necessarily a good idea but nice to know it can be done if needed....
Old 05-04-2002, 04:55 PM
trail angel

I would have thought that the acid etch makes the blade too smooth for the teflon....but if it works then I may give it ago on a trial knife.
Interesting about baking it at 200 F with the handle on as well. I experimented with a handled knife and baked it at
300 F....yep, the glue melted!

Do you leave the finish on the teflon (slightly rough), or do you smooth it with grit?

I hope to post a picture if I can figure out how to do it.

Thanks.
Old 05-04-2002, 06:48 PM
Ray Rogers

Teflon

The instructions said 300 - 350 I believe but I knew the glue couldn't take that much and I wasn't sure about the Micarta(R) so I just used 200 degrees and a bit more time and the teflon cured just fine.

No, I didn't finish the teflon at all after applying it. It was perfectly smooth as it was and didn't seem to need anything else. I sand blasted at low pressure just enough to roughen the surface. No point in making deep pits...
Old 05-07-2002, 10:05 PM
ERIC ELSON

I use it...

Here is a pic of a knife I completed a little while ago using the Brownells Teflon/Moly coating

I like the stuff, but as yet I have no real feed back as to how it is holding up.

The metal surface is beadblasted, and the surface of the coating was left as it was when it was baked, ie. I did not polish the coating at all.

neat stuff
Old 05-08-2002, 05:46 AM
P MOORE

Re: I use it...

Eric; Your pic is gone. can you repost I want to see 8o Paul
Old 05-08-2002, 11:17 AM
ERIC ELSON

works for me....

hmm it appears for me...

here is the direct link.....

www.ekc.20m.com/images/trust2001.jpg

hope that works
Old 05-08-2002, 12:07 PM
P MOORE

Re: I use it...

Eric; That looks great. How did you get the tiger effect? 2nd coat in waves? I like it!!
Old 05-09-2002, 11:03 PM
ERIC ELSON

My Secret....

Thats my Little secret...

First I polished the blade to about 600 grit, then it was sandblasted ( may seem like a waste of time to do all that polishing just to blast it away, but the final finish is only as good as what is underneath)
- now I apply one coating as per the instructions

after it is baked I take my sandblaster and blast away a bit of the finish coating to form the pattern,

Now I apply another layer and blast the pattern off of the same place BEFORE i bake it.

now the pattern looks pretty cool...black and grey.
For the black on black I simply add one more coat WITHOUT blasting away the pattern.

The result is what you see.
you may think that 3 coats would be A lot of build up, but in reality it adds barely .001" to the overall thickness of the blade.

Tags
blade, knife