MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Georgia Knifemaker's Guild

Georgia Knifemaker's Guild The Georgia Knifemaker's Guild. Furthering and fostering the passion of knives, knifemaking, and related interests

Old 06-01-2007, 02:19 PM
Skilled

Getting Started Advice Needed

Hello everyone, I just found and registered here today. I did not even know this group existed although I should have. Now that I have found yall you may want me to leave when I start asking to many questions. I need some advice on making sheaths and it seems I missed a class already. I am putting the finishing touches to a knife I made for my grandson and I want to start making my own sheaths, but I really do not know where to start. It has been along time since highschool leather working. Would someone tell me or give me a list of some or most of the basic tools I will need to start and maybe a good place to buy tools and small quanites of leather. I have looked at allot of sites and the Tandy site has a few sets but it has been my experience that most of the time you buy a set you get allot of stuff you never need. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:12 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Wade, if you were a prospector, you would have just stumbled across a gold mine. I am in the process of getting ready to leave for Colorado. If you can wait for two weeks, I will get back with you. And do you live near north Georgia? Perhaps you could spend some time with me and we could kick your problem around. Sandy

Old 06-01-2007, 09:15 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Wade, I can tell you from personal experience that you couldn't pay any amount of money and get a better mentor than Sandy. What's more, Sandy's a really great person. One I'm proud to call a friend.

Whatever you do, if you have any interest in leatherwork, take Sandy up on his offer.

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 06-01-2007, 11:18 PM

A great person, a great friend, a great host. You will have a great time while you learn and enjoy some of the most spectacular views God put anywhere on this earth---all from Sandy's deck.

Take care Sandy, drive careful, and be sure to tell Chuck all us on the east coast says hi.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:57 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Wade I am planing a trip to see Mr Sandy when he gets back.Just let us know where you live and we can go from there.I want to go to N.c.to see trav to and he is one of the best in knife making and mr sandy helped him if your close to trav he he good at teaching too.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:54 PM

Welcome aboard Wade. If you could let us know a little about you, such as where you are located, we may be able to help you better. If your close to Atlanta and are coming to the Blade Show next weekend be sure to stop by some of the GA Guild member's tables and introduce yourself. I will be at table 16-C. I believe Twinblades will be on row 19, and there will be several other members scattered around the floor.

As they have already said....Sandy is da man! He really helped a lot of us get our minds right about leather.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 06-03-2007, 08:46 AM
Skilled

Wade, i cant add anything but to say that Sandy is more than willing to help[ anyone who wants to learn. i just spent 3 days with him and learned more than i had in the past years of knife making. i travel from N.C. to GA. but would be glad to help in any way i could. The N.C. guild meeting will be at my shop the third weekend in july and you are most welcomed . by the way , this Georgia guild is tops. George, keep in touch with Joan and she will tell you how to get to us . hope you can get out there. we will stay in the shop as long as you guys want. Travis

Old 06-04-2007, 09:33 AM
Skilled

Thanks guys. I was planning to go to Blade this week but I am not sure now that I will be able to make it now. Last year I took off work Friday afternoon and took my grandson on Sat. but this year the other guy in our office will have to be at a Medical Conference so I will be in the office by myself. If the door opens just a little bit I am going to try to be there for atleast a little while, but I will just have to wait and see.

Sandy I would love to take you up on your offer, that is very generous of you. Waiting 2 weeks is not a problem, in fact I have to make a quik trip to Texas the weekend in 2 weeks. As far as location goes I work in McDonough but I live in a small town called Montrose, it is near Dublin on Int. 16 east of Macon. I will try to figure out how to update my profile.

Thanks again for all the responses, I really appreciate it.

Last edited by Wade Holloway; 06-05-2007 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:47 AM
Skilled

Wade, you aren't that far from Charlie and I at Twin Blades in Statesboro. If you want to come by the shop sometime, just give us a call to make sure we will be around. We would be glad to have you visit.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Skilled

help

Wade,I live on the east side of Laurens Co.and am starting a school here at the house . Later Robert

Old 06-15-2007, 11:59 PM

Wade, and George, and any others interested in visiting me and my shop------I have just returned from Colorado and Texas. Had a blast with Chuck Burrows and Paul Long, two of the best sheathmakers and personalities that you could ever hope to meet. If you can come by, give me a shout on the horn and we'll make arrangements. You can bunk in at my house---------

Old 06-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Enthusiast

Hi mr. Sandy I'm glad your back save and sound.I'll call in a couple of weeks we are in the middle of inventory and dot bus inspections.glad you had a great time on your vacation george.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:11 AM
Skilled

Thanks for the offer Sandy and I am glad you had a great time. Have you known Chuck for a very long time or did you just get the chance while you were out that way. From what I understand he is supposed to be the Guru of leather work. Everywhere I look on the internet there is something about him. He sounds like he would be an awsume guy. I have an apartment here in McDonough, but I live in a small town called Montrose near Dublin. I will check with the boss and see when I good time might be. It would be an easy drive from McDonough to your place. Thanks again for the offer I am really looking forward to it.

Wade
Old 07-31-2007, 09:08 AM

Well, gentlemen, I am finally back home again. This time I spent a few days in San Antonio with my daughters. They flew up from Florida and we went out together. Can seriously recommend San Antonio to anyone who is thinking of visiting there!

The offer to spend time in my shop whenever you can is a standing invitation. I will probably have more fun than you. Come on and give me a chance to prove it!

Old 07-31-2007, 09:57 PM

Well Pop, your three sons came by for a visit and to take you out for a good lunch last friday but guess it wasn't in the cards. Real sorry we missed you, but I know you had a great time with your girls. We'll be back again soon.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
blade, knife, knife making