MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 12-21-2008, 01:25 AM
Steel Addict

Pic with new Canon 5D mark ll

I thought I would post a picture of my present lighting setup for photographing knives. I currently have 2 Elinchrom BX 400's, one with a 24 X 32 softbox and the other with a shoot through umbrella and a silver reflective umbrella. I had a larger softbox 36" x 48" but exchanged it for the smaller size due to space constraints. I also use 2 42" reflectors, but I need to get some smaller ones for more precise positioning. The softbox and reflectors are Westcott's.

I am very impressed by the ease of use of the 5D mark ll, it is a very nice upgrade from the 30D I was using. The 30D will now become the back-up camera. I wish I could say it will improve my photography, but only hard work and continued trial and error will do that. I am hoping that the continuing snow and rain will subside so I can get outdoors more and test the new camera.

Thanks, Barbara Turner

Old 12-21-2008, 05:07 AM
Master

That's nice.
Where are the knife pics?

www.gtcknives.com
BLADE SHOW TABLE 16CC
SPC mesa 20
Old 12-21-2008, 07:14 PM

Hi Barbara,

I couldn't resist the opportunity either. I also purchased this camera--with the 24-105 L lens (Lens: Not for knife photography, but for my personal use)

It's a nice improvement over my existing 5D much less the 30D.

I'll post a knife sample if you'd like.

Nice convenient setup you have there.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 12-21-2008, 08:23 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the replies. The knife pics will be posted soon. (GTC, I did place 3 knives in the picture) Lol. Coop, I bought the body only version of the 5D mark ll as I have a decent selection of lenses already. I own the 17 - 40 4.0 L, 24 - 70 2.8 L, 100mm 2.8 macro, 70 - 200 2.8 L IS, 100 - 400 4.5 to 5.6 L and a Lensbaby 3G. I could always use a prime lens or two though. Enjoy your new camera and lens. Let me know how you like that lens, 24 - 105 is a nice focal range for FF cameras. Of course I would love to see a sample knife photo taken with the new camera. Have you noticed much improvement or more dynamic range over the old 5D pics?

Barbara

Old 12-21-2008, 09:10 PM

Thumbs up

Hi Barbara,

I ONLY have (3) fixed lenses, as I did not use my 5D for anything but studio knife work. Macro's: Canon 50mm f2.5, Sigma 70mmf 2.8, Canon 100mm f2.8. With the 24-70 f4 IS, now I have a more useful outdoors and indoors lens.

Here are a couple of FULL FRAME Shots.

Knife shot taken with Sigma 70mm lens & strobes.

Hi res file: WARNING: File size around 8.5mb.
http://www.fototime.com/91BC55A09825ACA/orig.jpg

Interior of an abandoned factory taken handheld with the 24-105 IS at 2000 ISO.

Hi res file: WARNING: File size around 8.5mb.
http://www.fototime.com/CB31411E34F2707/orig.jpg

Impressive, by all measures.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 12-21-2008, 10:31 PM
Steel Addict

Coop,

WOW, the knife photo is impressive. May I ask what you used for the backround. Fabric, wallpaper or other. (My guess is fabric).

The factory picture is great, I can think of several photo opportunities that beg for a high ISO especially when flash is not allowed or when you want to capture a more natural effect. I looked at the full res image and can't see any noise in the shadow areas. Any pp'ing done on the image (NR) and at what shutter speed was the photo taken? What do you use for a Raw converter? Sorry for all the questions, but I am always interested in learing more.

Barbara

Old 12-22-2008, 07:41 AM

Hi Barbara,

The background is wallpaper from a sample book. They are my staple. Get some outdated books and you will have a library. (Make friends with the local Paint/Wallpaper store. I did.)

Testimony to the effectiveness of the IS lens system (Image Stabilization for others), I handheld that shot at 1/60th second at f4. I needed the larger ISO to get even more light. I am still working in that factory, doing some painting in a non abandoned area, and I would LOVE to redo that shot at 100 ISO, F12, RAW, and a tripod. Talk about clarity. I'll post when I do. I lent the 24/105 lens out to a buddy, so it will be a week or more.

Yes, I did some PP to the image (clarity, sharpening, etc.) I use Adobe Camera Raw, but that was a JPG straight from the camera, as Photoshop CS3 does NOT open the 5Dmk2 RAW images. I was forced to upgrade. Now I can shoot that shot in Raw.

The lens has some pronounced color fringe up in the windows, and I could have PS'd that, but I didn't. What you see is what I got.

Looking forward to your shots.

Coop

Old 12-22-2008, 09:34 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the suggestion on the out of date wallpaper books. I will take a trip to some our paint / wallpaper stores in the area. I haven't taken any pictures of knives with the new camera, but here is a recent one taken with the old 30D. It is not nearly as nice as your photography, but with more time and practice, I should be able to take a few decent pics.

I have a few hot areas which I need to control better, but at the present time I don't have any gobos. I need to get to the stationary store and get some black paper. I have since gone in to Aperture and toned down some of the hot areas.

I would like to see the shot at ISO 100 when you have a chance to re shoot.

Barbara

This is a knife that was made for a neighbor who wanted a knife for cleaning elk.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Enthusiast

Are you folks using Photoshop to downsize your images?
Greg
Old 12-23-2008, 11:10 PM
Master

Nice pic, Barbara.
Thanks for posting.

www.gtcknives.com
BLADE SHOW TABLE 16CC
SPC mesa 20
Old 12-23-2008, 11:18 PM
Steel Addict

McKenna, I am using Photoshop CS 3 to downsize my images. You would have to ask Coop what he is using.

Last edited by Barbara Turner; 12-23-2008 at 11:38 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:57 AM

Greg, there are scads of programs that can be used to edit photos. Yes, I use Photoshop (Now CS4), but I would rarely recommend this to a hobbyist.

My VERY favorite program for editing and viewing is ACDSee--if you own a PC. I can't say enough good things about it. It's also free if you go to www.oldversion.com

Photoshop is daunting, even for a pro.

Barbara, that's a fine knife and a clear photo. I only use hard reflectors and soft diffusers. Work that softbox!

Coop

Old 12-24-2008, 03:12 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the encouragement Coop. I finally got outside today and took a couple snow pics w the 5D mark ll shot in Raw and the 100mm macro lens. I have posted them below. They have only been processed using Aperture and with very small Levels adjustments. Now If I can only get the knives to look as nice.

Last edited by Barbara Turner; 12-31-2008 at 12:25 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:08 PM
Enthusiast

I thank both of ya !! Just wanted to add that I just downloaded ACDSee and I'm amazed. Wow, what a slick little program. Great tip Coop !!
Greg

Last edited by mckenna; 12-24-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:00 AM

Greg, the more you use ACDSee the more you will rely on it. Crazily in the graphics intensive world of Macs, nothing I tried came close to it's ease and functionality. They are releasing a beta version for Mac in the Spring, and I am going to be a tester.

I recommend that it's worth every penny for the current version, but this gets you going.

Barbara, I was only able to view small shots when I opened in a new tab. Are they too big to post? Use links?

Coop

Tags
blade, knife, knife making, knives