MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 09-20-2007, 11:00 PM
Skilled

Bows and Arrows

Well, Redelk, here we are and I want to hear about your Osage longbow! All other archers jump in and let's talk about what you shoot whether it's a self bow, longbow, crossbow, compound, re-curve laminate or whatever. Back in the olden days, I shot a bunch with my laminated re-curve and have never really lost the love. I have longingly held a few Osage staffs with the thought of making myself a longbow and have attended the requisite flint knappings and primitive weapons gatherings for awhile. Even toyed with the adladl a bit last year. My favorite walking staff is Osage and it's a moose. Strong as a railroad tie I reckon but not near so big. A beautiful wood for a Randall handle as Redelk suggested with a wonderful, orangish golden, glossy sheen when smoothed down even without benefit of finish or polish. I've turned a few bowls out of it and made pipe tampers, etc. as well. I mean I LOVE this wood!

seuss
Old 09-21-2007, 08:18 AM

Seussman, RedElk et al, take a gander at these bownifide Osage items:
(And as Perry says: "Make sure to look at the large pictues.")

http://www.spaceportcutlery.com/tek9...cific=jofpiqc8

http://www.spaceportcutlery.com/tek9...cific=jqmodoe0

http://www.spaceportcutlery.com/tek9...cific=jqmnnrk8

Cheers!

Moosehead

Old 09-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Skilled

Thanks for the links Mooseface! Those are beautiful; and show the grain possibilities of this wood. The last picture shows an older piece of Osage darkened by age. It gets less bright as it ages but little darker than that example. The wood is very dense and when cutting with a chain saw, sometimes will actually emit sparks. As a firewood, it produces a lot of heat and pops and crackles as it burns. Osage was the hedge fence of choice in the 1870s and would turn all enclosed animals including chickens if properly constructed.

seuss
Old 09-21-2007, 11:57 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to RedElk
Seussbrother,
You asked about my longbow; well, I don't have it yet. It's on order from a custom builder/hobbiest. There was an early attempt that had too much draw weight for me. I told him to redirect it to another customer rather than run the risk of ruining it by trying to lower the draw weight. It was a beauty, though.

Meanwhile, I'm still shooting an older Pearson Varsity recurve and a new Martin Rebel recurve.

I just started shooting in late April when I attended the Kentucky Klassic, and I also attended ATAR in Beckley, WV this summer. The folks who attend those events are some of the nicest in the world, and I'm still stunned at the number of knife-nuts that are among them.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:51 PM
Skilled

Redelk, you were wise to wait on just the right bow. The more you shoot, probably your correct draw weight will increase but starting out too heavy could ruin your form and technique. I have no idea what draw weight your present bows are but I think my wife's bow was 30 lb and mine was a 42 lb but there is no telling what would be right for me now. Maybe 15 lb? Back in the days of fighting wars with bows, it was not uncommon for the draw weights on longbows to be 150 lb. I can't even imagine such a weapon or the strength and technique to shoot it. There are several guys making Osage longbows who have websites which are very cool and fun to visit. You are right about bow guys being knife guys too. My last "primitive" event I was wearing my little ivory cattleman covered up with a long shirt (I thought) so as not to be conspicuous and several people asked me about it

seuss
Old 09-30-2011, 12:45 PM
Enthusiast

I use a Ten Point Crossbow with a crank for cocking it and a Ten Point 4x scope on it. One shoulder surgery on the left and three on the right mandate I use this type of bow, and my injuries allow me to get the permit required to hunt with it. I only use it for deer hunting.

My first bow was a Bear laminated recurve, then I stopped hunting for a long time. By the time I went back to it, I needed a crossbow because I couldn't pull a regular or compound bow anymore.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:57 PM

Rob,

I gave up deer hunting ~ 30 years ago, but the last 5 years I hunted with a bow in order to "give them a chance" (ha). I still have the bow and if I remember right the pull is 50lbs. I've had surgeries on both shoulders since and I have no idea if I can still pull it.

On a side note: When I was in my early teens, one of my buddies found a recipe for making a home-made cross bow pistol. He made the grip out of a tongue and groove fence board so the arrow rested in the groove. The bow itself was made from a ~ 1950 ford hood spring. The "bowstring" was a 1/16" steel cable that had to be pulled back with a cocking lever (You could not pull it back by hand). The arrow was just the 1st third or so of a normal arrow with a field tip (No fletching). The first time he tried it, he was standing about 8 feet from a telephone pole and we were all gathered around watching the show. He pulled the trigger and we all heard a loud "snap" and......................nothing! We diverted our gaze from the pole to the pistol and there was that arrow still lying in it's groove. My buddy goes to pick it up to look at it and it's cleanly split in two lengthwise! We couldn't believe it! So, he goes home and comes up with a spent .38 shell and pounds that on the butt of the arrow and tries it again: The arrow is embedded in the pole by half of it's length! I have a lot of respect for cross bows.

Best,

Ron

Tags
hunting, knife