MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Registered

Having been a Police Officer in AZ decades ago, I don't recall ever having a peer Officer who didn't admire a well made automatic knife. I don't believe in a double standard where Officers can carry legally and civilians can't. Anything used with the intent of self defense was good enough for me. When an Officer, I always presumed people to be of an honorable nature with honorable intentions - UNTIL - they demonstrate otherwise, then I jumped on 'em with both feet! When I pulled someone over for a traffic violation, I'd ask them if they were carrying concealed. Many would say "Only a pocket knife" whereupon I'd ask them to produce it. It didn't matter to me if it was a switchblade or not. I'd ask why they were carrying it and if they said for self-defense, I'd usually give them the Knute Rockne "Letter of the Law .vs the Spirit of the Law" speech and warn them of the hell they would go through if using an illegal weapon even in self-defense. However, ... they would still be alive because of that thin slice of steel, brass, and plastic, and i don't think I ever remember a prosecution for just having a switch in one's possession. Some Officers may add that as an additional charge for whatever reason the person was arrested, but mostly, my mindset was that because of a small curved steel spring, a person could go to jail and have his/her life changed for the worse??? Not on my watch. This doesn't mean to say i wasn't a good, observant cop, ... I was extremely Officer safety oriented, but I also put myself in the shoes of the civilians who would have need of our protection 'right then and there' and we couldn't respond for 3-4 minutes at the best. All I would tell those folks I found in possession of illegal knives was that I hope they trained hard on how and when to use them because I guarantee you that the scumbags in prison train everyday in combat arts to include knife fighting by sharpening the 1/4" tip of the small nail file in a set of nail clippers, then go to town on each other cutting just enough skin to know what to do and how to do it, so in real life when they pull out the real deal, they have already trained themselves to be effective. So should the civilians who pack a blade for just such encounters. Keeping one in one's pocket to be 'cool' will get you killed against a guy who is trained in close quarters knife fighting.

It is too bad the laws in this country favor the criminal and not the good citizens with honorable intent. Criminals use the knife as a 'work tool', ... honorable citizens use it as an insurance policy.

-BL

Tags
automatic, bee, blade, brass, demo, file, folder, folding knife, how to, knife, knives, made, military, plastic, pocket, pocket knife, post, self-defense, sharpening, steel, switchblade