MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:40 AM
Skilled

Marathon day at the 2X72

What's the longest you have spent at the grinder? Yesterday was my longest. was at it almost continuously from 10-3 and then back and forth between tasks for a several more hours. I have started doing all my grinds on stainless steels post heat treat. 154 CM just flat sucks to grind post heat treat. I am transitioning to AEBL as my stainless of choice. And using 36 grit belts for the grind. But still it takes me 3-4 times as long to grind out. I do it for a couple of reasons, one it does away with warped blades and 2 I get a more uniform quench in the plates.

I currently have 9 knives I'm various stages. Something I do not recommend. It wouldn't be so bad if it was a large batch of the same knife. But it's all different styles. Here is the batch post heat treat and grind. 4 in AEBL 3 in 154CM. Now to handles.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:27 AM

Buddy, I've got an old 4x36 delta belt sander that will only track on the edge of one side for right now. I fully feel your pain. The 1080 I typically use sands fairly easy. But the L6 I've been using this week is like trying to chew through a hickory stick after I attempted to anneal it.

I want to say Istarted at aroune 7:30 yesterday morning by the time I got the wood furnace stoked, cut out and grinded until lunch on 5 knives.

Love those two big skinners by the way !

Davey Pratt
www.bondscreekknives.com
Old 12-14-2016, 05:03 PM
Guru

I know some other makers who grind after HT. Not me except to finish it. If it warps I have access to a TIG welder and can put a small weld like 1mm round far from the edge to unwarp it. It doesn't take much to get a curve out. Stainless likes to warp and I was a welder for a long time and taking out warp isn't a big deal to me. I just leave .03 to.05 on the edge. I also have an arbor press for thinner material.

AEB-L eh? I read it needs a dry ice treatment, but just taken down to -95 and no soak necessary. How is that working for you as it's cheaper to buy?
Old 12-14-2016, 10:46 PM
Skilled

Jim, I'm loving AEBL. I do a zub zero quench with dry ice and denatured alcohol. It takes a razor edge better than any steel I've used and holds it as good as most.

Some progress today.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:10 AM
Skilled

Another full day at it. But I managed to finish 7 knives in 3 days including sheaths. Whew.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:26 AM
Guru

Those knives look good

Nice Turquoise spacer on that one. Good stag too. The sheaths look decent as well. That turquoise really stands out though to me.

Tags
154cm, 2x72, back, bee, belt, belt sander, belts, blade, blades, easy, edge, flat, grinder, handles, heat, heat treat, knife, knives, mobile, post, sander, stainless, warped, wood