MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > The Supply Center

The Supply Center What's Hot ... and where the deals are! Supplies are our specialty ...

Old 02-26-2009, 08:38 AM
Registered

1st Timer Handle Scales??

!st Post want to say hello to members and ask some questions.

I just got a knife for my wading belt(surf fishn), I want to change out the scales on the handle, make em yellow.
Measure 4 x 1&1/4 x 1/8-3/16
I've never done any work on knives before and will be limited to hand tools; saw,files, sandpaper.
I would prefer to do this and get the satisfaction of doing for myself.
Is it possible or should I just have someone make them for me?
I was thinking of using G10 or Micarta then saw the mention of Corian here.
http://knifenetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48039.
How will Corian holdup in the saltwater environment?

Did a google search for yellow G10 and Micarta did not find any links. Does anyone have some for sale?

Your thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated. TIA Swoop
Old 02-26-2009, 10:41 AM
Hall of Famer

Hi Swoop,

Corian is a synthetic countertop material. It is somewhat durable (it's prone to chipping), but it is very heavy compared to other options for handles.

I haven't seen yellow G10, but I know blaze/hunter orange is available.

The project is doable with saw, files, and sandpaper. You may also need a drill. Have you considered how you will attach the scales to the knife tang? Because of the dust created when working with some materials, you may want at least a dust mask if not a respirator. G10 is a fiberglass laminate, and can cause damage to your respiratory system.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Master

First of all - welcome!

Check out the stickys at the top of the "newbies arena" - there are links to tons of tutorials to help you out.

With basic tools you can certainly do this yourself, but might I suggest buying a kit knife instead of trying to replace the scale on the one you already have. Mainly because if the knife you have is build well it's going to be a real PITA to get the old scales off!

As for supplies/kits - there are a lot of great vendors. Start with Texas Knife texasknife.com or Jantz.com.

Hope that helps!
-Dave

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 02-26-2009, 11:25 AM
Guru

Corian should hold up fine in saltwater. It works very easily with a file and other hand tools. I've never seen a bright yellow corian, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You can buy yellow G10 from masecraft.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 02-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armory414
Hi Swoop,
.... Have you considered how you will attach the scales to the knife tang? Because of the dust created when working with some materials, you may want at least a dust mask if not a respirator. G10 is a fiberglass laminate, and can cause damage to your respiratory system.
The original handle is attached using TORX screws (2). I will use the same method to attach the new handle. I do plan on wearing a respirator when working with either G10 or Micarta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveRuhlig
First of all - welcome!

Check out the stickys at the top of the "newbies arena" - there are links to tons of tutorials to help you out.
With basic tools you can certainly do this yourself, but might I suggest buying a kit knife instead of trying to replace the scale on the one you already have. Mainly because if the knife you have is build well it's going to be a real PITA to get the old scales off!
-Dave
Dave - Thank you for pointing me to the tutorials in the "newbies area. The knife I just got is made of H1 steel. I am familiar with this steel since I have a "Spyderco Tasman Salt" it has the same steel. The stuff does not corrode. I used this knife in the salt last season and intentionally did not wash or clean it as a test. No corrosion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcridSaint
Corian should hold up fine in saltwater. It works very easily with a file and other hand tools. I've never seen a bright yellow corian, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You can buy yellow G10 from masecraft.
In another thread here [http://knifenetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48039] it was mentioned that corian samples can be gotten from: http://www.coriansamples.com - they have it in yellow.
Thanks for the masecraft info, they have the yellow G10 but I will have to wait on them because of their $25 minimum, I just need one piece for now.

If anyone on the forum is putting together an order I would send them payment including postage before they added my order to theirs.

Thanks to all who have responded. Your info is very helpful. Swoop/Steve
Old 02-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Master

Swoop-
Check Tracey Mickley's site - I think he sells yellow G-10.
http://www.usaknifemaker.com/store/i...ex&cPath=64_36
-Dave

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 03-26-2009, 03:32 PM
Registered

Handle has to wait

I have to prioritize. I have to set the sheath up for the knife I got. The clip on the sheath for the knife won't fit my wading belt. Only so much cash available so I'll have to hold off on the handle.

Swoop

Tags
knife, knives