MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-11-2005, 03:27 PM
Registered

The stuff they sell on the Cutlery Corner TV Show.

I dont know anything about knives but I recently purchased a set of Custom Bowies from the Cutlery Corner Network. They are from Frost Cutlery and they all are stamped China or Pakistan. Now I realize these are not "show" quality nor are they probably even of a quality for any kind of usage but all I wanted to do was hang them around my family crest on the wall. They do seem to be good enough for that anyway. I received 14 custom knives for $135 plus $30 S&H. My question is how do I preserve the blades so they do not begin to rust or lose their luster? Is there an oil I can apply to the blade? As I said, I dont know anything about knives.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:12 PM

Welcome...

Hi there. Congrats on your interest in knives. Around here we live and breathe them. In time you may find your tastes will evolve to even better (read more expensive and better-made) pieces, but I won't dismiss what you are enjoying now.

I use a product called 'Tuf-Glide' which is made for just what you are describing, plus lubricating pivots, etc.

Here is a link:

http://www.sentrysolutions.com/TufGlide.shtml

Look around. You may find this addicting!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 11-11-2005, 04:50 PM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

Welcome to the forums flyinv55.

I'd like to echo Jim Cooper's (SharpByCoop) sentiments congratulating you on your interest in knives. I would just about bet that the knives you purchased are some form of stainless steel, which handles part of the battle in itself.

There are a number of good products that will do what you need. The Tuf-Glide that Jim mentioned is good stuff. Another that I have used for some time is a synthetic called NyOil. Most recently I have started trying out a wonderful product called Ballistol.

Other things I've used in a pinch are mineral oil, non-stick spray oil (for cooking), and olive oil. I have a friend that bought one of my knives many years ago (non-stainless) which he keeps on display at his house. He gave the entire knife a coat of Johnson's Paste Wax (for hardwood floors) and wiped it. That seems to have worked quite well. Another in-a-pinch thing is a thin sewing machine oil. 3-In-One oil works quite well.

It will be interesting to see what other products and ideas we'll see in this thread. And please guys, don't harass a new member about non-custom knives. I do this for a living but still buy factory mades too. Like Jim said, we live and breathe knives around here.

Click the banner above to visit my website

Last edited by Terry Primos; 11-11-2005 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:23 PM
Guru

Welcome !

Hang out too long here in the forums and life will get pretty expensive. :-). I think I buy more knives than I make. Pretty Addicting, Especially from the makers that are in here.

I too have tried the oil that Coop mentioned and it works great. I also use Olive oil like Terry said and with much success. Good luck with your new purchase.

Shane

shane@shaneivieknives.com
Old 11-12-2005, 02:56 AM

Welcome!

I would agree that there is a high probabilty that those are all stainless steel knives. They will need little care to maintain their lustre.

Before my own deep exploration into the world of knives, I accepted what came into my home as the standard by which to measure my needs and desires in cutlery. What I saw on HSN and in BUDK catalogs I found laying around at work was all I had to use as that yardstick and so, I bought many such blades. Some were fantasy knives that made cool desk ornaments. Others were military style survival knives which I carried as a soldier. The performance of these was fine at the time--I had never owned a better knife.

There is a much higher standard in functional quality to be attained my friend. You have found your way into the world which can expose you to that standard as I did not long ago.

As for your purchase, congratulations! If they are meant to hang on a wall and look good, I would think that a well crafted aluminum knife could do that. As long as you like how they look, it's all good.

If you seek the highest standard in custom hand made knives, a fair place to start woul be to scroll back up and click on the link to Terry Primos' homepage. He and many, many others have been a wealth of information to newbies like me and the education is ongoing...

Have fun here! Ask many questions!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 11-12-2005, 10:33 AM
Living Legend

I used to do alot of gunsmithing and I have always had great success with Ezzox. It is a cleaner and rust preventative. It goes on very thin, almost like paint thinner, and then dries dry to the touch. I have used it on guns that I have had for over twentyfive years and I have never had any corrosion, not even the light dusty surface type.

There are alot of good anti-rust formulas out there and we should try all of them. I still have over a gallon of Ezzox left which is a lifetime supply for me.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:36 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to nozh_scrap
I'm 99% sure that those large Frost fantasy knives are some kind of stainless steel. If so, you'd probably never have to worry about the blades becoming that discolored or rusting. I would be more concerned with any brass, or nickel silver on the knife becoming discolored.

I've never used any kinds of oils or anything like these guys have recommended, but I've been using a product called Flitz now for years, and to me it's the best stuff in the world for polishing metals. It'll make steel, brass, nickel silver, and some plastics shine like crazy. And it's pretty easy to use, just squirt some out of the tube (like toothpaste) on a rag, and rub it in a circular motion over whatever surface is losing luster. It'll kind of leave a haze, then you can buff that out with a clean cloth (I use an old t-shirt). You'll be surprised how shiny your knife will be. It leaves a protective surface, and water will bead off it. It's great stuff.

Flitz is pretty easy to find. You should be able to get it in most any dept store.

Old 11-12-2005, 10:03 PM
Skilled

Through a supplier of mine, I use to deal many of these knives and ones like them at flea markets and trade shows. They where a good seller for me. Many of them were exposed to outdoors enviroment and the only problems I come by was discoleration of them pakkawood handels. I dont beleive that they are stabalized like dymondwood handles are. I found a light coat of mineral oil to help keep the color up and the luster with so many fingerprints handleing them in a day. To keep up the brass and remove fingerprints I have always carried nevrdull in my breifcase. Sometimes you can get lucky with some of the smaller more practical sized camping knives that may have been hardened to keep a reasonable edge. The edge holding abilaties can not be compared with that of a well made custome knife but look at the price comparason.
I have even gone as far as taking some of these knives apart and repacing the handles with a better qualaty handle and had a not to bad of a blade when done. I have considered annealing and rehardening and tempering one of these blades to see what can be done with some of the big fantasy blades. Considering that most of them are 440c or 420j I think they can be salvaged to make a better quality tool at a lesser price cutting down on labor.
Just a thought.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:56 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
Stop the Madness

Glad to have you on board but PUT DOWN THE REMOTE AND STEP AWAY FROM THE TELEVISION!!!!!! LOL. Those knives are HORRIBLE and the first time you try to sharpen one, you will understand of what i speak. Let's not even get into the design issues. Look at the knives that people post on here. If cash is an issue, you can find many fine knives from the big companies that are a fair bit more than Frost, but are real usable knives. For your first fixed blade, i would highly recommend buying one of the new Spyderco Moran Featherweight knives........It is about the only way a mere mortal (like me) will EVER get close to any knife with Bill Moran's name on it...lol I have one and it has a permanent home in the center console of my car when i am on the road. (Most of the knives that i have made so far are too big for this type of carry.....this Moran repalced my various and sundry Benchmade folders....also good knives, but a bear to sharpen without proper gear) Great little knife and you can find it on sale for under $75. Money well spent.
Joe Mandt

Last edited by jdm61; 11-23-2005 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:22 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to nozh_scrap
I like how the guys selling them are so loud...

"WE'RE SELLIN 1000 CUSTOM BOOOOWIES FOR 200 DOLLARS! THAT'S PENNIES ON THE BOOOOWIE! YOU HAVE GOT TO BE AN ABSOLUTE MORON NOT TO ORDER THESE KNIVES!!! YOU'RE ALSO GONNA GIT CUSTOM LEATHER SHEATHS WITH THESE KNIVES! LOOK AT THIS ONE FOLKS.....THE DRAAAAGON WARRIOR!"

Yeah man....those guys are far from knife authorities, but if you like the knife and you think it looks cool, then thats great.

Old 11-24-2005, 12:43 AM
Master

Nohz,

You is much too cynical Live and let live I say, for a knife to be sold there has to be a person out there that sees the merit in the knife. Of course someone also said I think it was PT Barnum, "A f*** and his money are soon parted" ;-) For what they are you are at least paying for the steel and those guys' salary. I remember when Frost was actually a reputable name in knives. Not everyone can afford a custom knife, and they do make the price breakdown sound very attractive especially to the gun show dealers who have bins and bins and buckets and buckets of knives for $3-5 each.

To each his own I say. If the man is happy with his knives more power to him, we can only hope as he looks through the Display Case and FS by Maker and Dealer he may cultivate a yearning for the good life ;-)

Paul Vandine
Old 11-24-2005, 01:14 AM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
Frost

didn't Frost use to import some halfway decent looking knives? I remember back in the day that if you couldn't afford Cold Steel tanto's, you could buy a halfway decent cast aluminum handle copy from either Frost or Taylor. i had one and while it wasn't San Mai, it held a good edge and was a decently made knife. What has the world come to? lol. I think that the next step in this young lad's road to cutlery addiction should be to look at some of the decent factory fixed blade and folding (yuck....lol)stuff from Benchmade, Spyderco, Bark River, Blackjack, Camillus, Cold Steel, SOG, Ontario, Ka Bar etc., They all make solid product that anyone can afford. I got my start in knives with those types of knives and a couple of Randalls back in the early 90's after carrying old Gerbers pretty exclusively when I was in the Army. (mark 1 and 2 and one of the old brass and rosewood folders, which i still have I stopped when they stopped making the Mk's out of that O1 type steel.) Ironic that i recently bought an Ed Caffrey hunter, a Charlie Ochs fighter and a Mark Sentz ST24 boot knife and paid less for each than i would have to pay for my old one off stag handled Randall 14 on the secondary market. Actually got the Caffrey and the Ochs for what my cat's tongue Mk 2 would sell for i bet. I traded my four randalls for a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 back in 91 or 92. Today I could get a new Super Grade and a serious German scope and have some change left over. Crazy hobby. My Blackjack Warner-Moran Rio Grande camp knife is worth close to $300 these days....glad i kept it..i think I paid $100 or so for it when it came out..... lol
Babbling terminated 0214 24 Nov 2005
Seriously, tt's a great hobby, but be warned. You may go through several "collections" before you get started on the one you stick with.....hope you have relatives who like getting the old knives as presents..lol
Joe Mandt
Old 04-26-2016, 12:18 AM
Registered

They are from Frost Cutlery and they all are stamped China or Pakistan. Now I realize these are not "show" quality nor are they probably even of a quality for any kind of usage but all I wanted to do was hang them around my family crest on the wall. They do seem to be good enough for that anyway.????

https://mydoctorbob.com/

Last edited by Bohatyaor; 06-22-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:12 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohatyaor View Post
They are from Frost Cutlery and they all are stamped China or Pakistan. Now I realize these are not "show" quality nor are they probably even of a quality for any kind of usage but all I wanted to do was hang them around my family crest on the wall. They do seem to be good enough for that anyway.????

lol
Um, no. Frost knives are like "art" from a big box retailer. Oh they resemble art but when put next to the real thing the difference becomes clear. And we haven't even explored performance (yes, we expect our knives to be used and abused).

I think this video sums up the quality of those infomercial blades. Prepare to laugh, cause that guy didn't.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kFgeZtkAb8
Old 04-26-2016, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohatyaor View Post

lol
Wall hanger is a wall hanger, if you like the way it looks then by all means you have done what you set out to do. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.
I think what most of the guys are saying is that if you ever want working/using knives these aren't the ones to get. I don't think anyone here is out to bust your chops, just most of us approach cutlery as a working tool, not something to hang on the wall. Although many of the ones you will see posted here are a might to purty to carry in the woods, they are still function first creations........just the way we're wired.

Do hope you are satisfied with your acquisition and they serve you well. I have used several of the products mentioned above to preserve a finish. Find one you can apply easily with the least amount of effort and mess and stick with it. Just remember heavy oil based products and veggie oils will attract and hold dust.

Hope you will continue to visit this site and the KNF in general. Post pics of your wall mount if you get a chance.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
apply, art, blade, blades, cutlery, fixed blade, hunting knife, knife, knives, products, show, video, woods