MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:55 PM
Skilled

Teak for Tiek

This one I made for my dentist by the name of Dr. Tiek. He has been so helpful
over the years with myself and family that I wanted to thank him.

6.5" Chef/Utility 440c 60rc (Peters)
304 SS bolsters
Handle made of teak wood with brass pins

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-27-2015, 10:25 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Nice! If he likes it well enough tell him you'll trade it to him for a free grille ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-28-2015, 11:09 AM
Skilled

Nice job!

How did you find 304 to work with?

Dan
Old 05-28-2015, 11:20 AM
Skilled

Very nice man. What thickness of 440c stock are you starting with?

Old 05-28-2015, 05:03 PM
Steel Addict

Good looking knife. I think he'll love it.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:07 AM
Skilled

Thanks for the comments guys !!

Hunter, I am using .093 (3/32) precision ground from Aldo. FFG with full taper from bolster to tip .0245
(and still with my trusty 1x30

Dan, still love your web site. Find myself popping in often. As for the 304 - Love it. I have used it for
almost every knife I have made with guards, bolsters, and pommels. Unlike the stories I have heard, I
have never had problems with cutting, milling or shaping. I use cobalt bits, haven't burn one yet.
I originally chose 304 for just one fact that
I read and who got me following his work, Jay Fisher. 304 is the only SS he will use for all his work.
Good enough for him, good enough for me.

Quote from his site: "Austenitic Stainless Steels: In this group of steels, I use 304 stainless steel, and
I consider this the best bolster, guard and fitting material in the stainless alloy steels.
Disadvantages: 304 stainless steel does not machine easily (my problem, not yours). It does not engrave easily,
and most engravers will never even attempt to engrave this tough, hard material. But I do, and my clients love what I get.
It also costs more, mainly for the effort and machining.

Important note: In my opinion, it is absolutely the finest bolster material available.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:22 AM
Skilled

A continuation from Jay Fisher's web site:

"Free Machining Martensitic Stainless Steels: Here we're talking about 416 and 410 stainless steels. They are good, hard, tough steels, polish well, and are used by a lot of knife makers. They have some of the characteristics listed in the "Martensitic Stainless Steels" paragraph above, and have some distinct differences. The most important is machinability. These steels are not as tough and wear resistant as 304, which is difficult to machine. These steels have much lower chromium than either 440C or 304, which means a markedly lower corrosion resistance, lower than the blade if the knife is made of most of the martensitic tool steels used for knife blades. So, they can corrode easier. The reason most makers use these steels is because they are easy to machine, not because of any other reason. So the choice to use them is of convenience to the maker, not the knife owner.

More Disadvantages: I never use them because the alloy content creates a slight yellow cast to the color, which does not match most stainless steel blades. If the knife will have a stainless blade and bolster or guard, why not make it match in color? Most importantly, 400 series stainless steels MUST be hardened to reach their full and expected corrosion resistance. Bolsters applied to a knife blade are never heat treated, so corrosion resistance is less than optimum. Even if the bolsters were heat treated, both of these steels are inferior in corrosion resistance to 440C, ATS-34, or CPMS30V (S30V). Manufacturers of these two steels claim they are heat treatable stainless steels only used where corrosion is not severe: in air, fresh water, some mild chemical exposures, and food acids. Why use stainless steel fittings at all when they are more likely to corrode than even the blade? So you can understand why I don't use them and why I don't recommend them either.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:56 AM
Skilled

Good job Troy, turned out real nice!

"We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends." Shel Silverstein
Old 05-31-2015, 10:41 PM
Enthusiast

Very nice!

Tags
440c, ats-34, bee, blade, blades, bolster, bolsters, brass, chemical, easy, guard, guards, knife, made, man, material, polish, stainless, thickness, trade, wood