MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:22 AM
Skilled

Kitchen Knife Survey

I don't know how many of us are focusing on kitchen knives at present, but if you are, I've found a good article on Cooking for Engineers. They test a handful of different commercially available chef's knives from MAC, Cutco, Wustoff, Global, Henckels etc. and offer some surprising results.

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/a...s-Knives-Rated

An interesting side note, the Japanese entrants indicate higher Rockwell C numbers (RC60), which comes with caveats about sharpening with a steels. I.e. harder and more brittle. Water stone sharpening seems to be the norm in Japan.

I know undoubtedly that we can all make better knives than a factory if we apply ourselves. It also appears to me that the interest in kitchen/chef's knives has picked up since the Kitchen Knife KITH.

The bad news... I am sad because my posting for my keyhole bolster chef's knife effort has gone largely unnoticed, (except for NorCal Nate, thanks Buddy!) in the forum. (boo hoo me, whaa whaa!). I am making a leather sheath for it soon.

Thanks for all the great input and ideas.

Dan
Old 08-09-2014, 08:33 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

The keyhole knife wasn't unnoticed, there were 188 views when I looked just now. Getting people to write comments is another matter altogether. Just saying "wow, that's a pretty knife" almost seems pointless because its just stating the obvious. The keyhole part is interesting to look at and could even become something you could be known for but it probably isn't something most would want to copy due to the effort involved in doing things that way. People looked and they appreciated what they saw even if they did it silently ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-09-2014, 08:37 AM
Skilled

Thanks for your reply Ray. I understand, but as a consummate publicist, I used to opportunity to stoke the coals so to speak. Hope you don't mind. :-)

Old 08-09-2014, 09:30 AM
Skilled

The best complement anyone can give to a knifemaker, pay handsomely for his work! From time to time I will post stuff, and like you seems it goes unnoticed but then I recall all the times I looks at someones work and said to myself, "that's nice" and moved on. That being said, we are not teenagers in that our self esteem is based solely on the need of constant attention from our peers. If you are happy with it, and the receiver is happy that's good enough for me.
I'm still waiting on the "pay handsomely" part myself.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:30 AM
Master

kitchen knives have always been popular and always sell extremely well.......easier to make , no leather sheath required.......for repeat and referral orders I've found the 'customer want' is simple and sharp from my experience........I agree with the Japanese entrance take on HRC avg, I keep mine in the 59-60 range and use carbon exclusively.........retain edge and easy to sharpen is generally what the end user expects.....no complicated bacteria hiding place bling that really wont fetch you any more money in the end (with the extra time involved)......as for replying to post's I'm with JM , I pass on many or you'd be on here for ever say wow nice knife..........we all love to hear replies on our craft it's natural and normal......but as JM also states if the receiver is happy then all is well........Dan , I'm going to checkout your keyhole post...........

Old 08-09-2014, 10:52 AM
Skilled

I checked out the keyhole knife and it's awesome.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:27 AM
Skilled

I own every chef knife name that you have mentioned since my entire career has
been in the restaurant biz. My son even worked for Cutco for over a year. Each manufacture is a little
different and its' functionality also. I use each one on a daily basis but yet to find the "magic" blade
for every occasion. This is why the KITH was important to me is because I want to be able to design
and make a blade for exactly that. I use my Global for my chicken, Henckel for fruits, Mac for meats,
Victorynox for veggies, and Dexter for bakery and breads.

I would love to comment on each and every knife, but as others have said and felt, I don't want makers
to get the impression that I am not in "ahhhh" with their work. I inspire to be as skilled as all the
makers on here and other forums. This is why I ask soooo many questions. I also don't want to be
the guy on the forum that replies to each maker and says only ... "nice knife!" I would love to give
more insightful responses but I am only 1 year into this and only a 3rd grade education in knifemaking.

Your keyhole design is post graduate work to me and followed your thread and watched how your
progression went. I still to this day have no clue how you accomplished your finished product even
with "pictures and arrows with a description on the back." (Arlo Guthrie reference)

Your web site has also help me in my education. I believe that I have thanked you on here and your
site but again .... THANK YOU !!! I am sure that you have helped many others and have not received the
recognition that you deserve. I believe the silence will turn into a roar as time goes on.

Please continue your postings and WIPs as I for one, maybe not always in words, will benefit from
your knowledge and techniques. I will also, in the future, make a conscious effort to put my
"ahhhh" into words for you and others.

Tags
apply, awesome, bee, blade, bolster, chef's knife, education, japanese, kitchen, kitchen knife, kitchen knives, knife, knifemaker, knifemaking, knives, leather, leather sheath, make, making, post, sharpening, sheath, stone, stone sharpening