MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2007, 12:15 AM
Enthusiast

hollow grind

I want to share my very first hollow grind with you guys. I have been a member for several years and still consider myself a novice. I can flat grind well enough to get by and people seem to like my knives. But I could never do a hollow grind. About a year ago I got an 8" Jet from John at True Grit. Still couldn't learn to hollow grind. So I sort of accepted the fact that I might have to be satisfied with flat grind blades.
This evening I was out in my shop and had profiled and drilled a piece of Brad Vice's Alabama damascus. As I ground the flats I realized that the billet was too thick to get a satisfactorily thin flat grind on - at least in my mind. I will never know what possesed me but after I had the flat ground I moved to the 8" jet wheel which had a 60 grit belt on it and laid the knife billet against the wheel just as I had been reading about for so long and started a hollow grind. I went slow and took light passes and here is the result. It's not a show stopper but it is the first piece of steel I tried to hollow grind. Didn't know where to post this. And since I am still a newbie after all these years decided it should go here. I want to thank everyone who has written tutorials and discussed hollow grinding. All your tutorial and discussion sort of came together in my head and I had a halfassed succeeded. Thanks again. I am going to try to post pics. You can see where I took some 220 grit paper and started removing the belt marks and my version of hollow grind isn't as deep as I would like but maybe that will improve with time. Thanks again.

Tags
blade, knife, knives