MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:22 PM
Steel Addict

May try this next any advice?

Scratched this out at work. 11'' X 2'' X 1/4 thick

Last edited by JawJacker; 12-03-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:30 PM
Master

1/4" thick, 1/3 flat grind. definintely a chopper
Old 11-14-2012, 06:59 AM
Steel Addict

The profile of the blade is definately my cup of tea. I've been dying to try a large knife myself, but I do most of the beveling by hand, and I feel like I would just be frustrating myself attempting to remove that much metal. A dedicated chopping blade is fine, but realize that might be all it does well. You could use 3/16" and/or bring the grind closer to the spine and it would slice better while still being a good chopping blade. Or if you're going full chopper you might tweek your design a little to add more weight to the tip end of the blade. Those are just my opinions though. It's a cool design. I say go for it.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:30 AM
Master

If you plan on having secondary edge bevels then you might want to consider thinner stock, and/or raising the grind line closer to the spine. At that thickness it will be a pretty wide angle on the edge bevels. If you were going for a single bevel, with no secondary edge bevel then that would help you keep the grind closer to the edge like you have it.

Personally on 1/4" thick, 2" wide, flat ground...I take the bevels 3/4 back, or even to the spine. Short of gross abuse (chopping steel, cement, hammering the blade in material and aggressively torquing it out sideways, etc) it still ends up plenty strong enough.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Steel Addict

ABUE, Single bevel, that might be the ticket.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:51 PM
Hall of Famer

With a single bevel it's the angle and not how far back it goes. I would do about 20? for general use and about 25? for a chopper. You could try Fred Rowe's bubble jig as a guide if you are grinding with a belt grinder. You could also get a little gauge that's a little brass disc with angled slots cut into them to guide you as you work if you are using a file. I found one on Amazon for about $10. You might be able to adapt a bubble jig for file work but the more I thought about it the more probems came to mind.

Knifes like that are said to have a scandi grind. To sharpen them, once the edge is established, the bevel is laid flat on the stone.

Doug

Last edited by Doug Lester; 11-14-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:34 AM
Steel Addict

This is probably obvious to most people, but it took me a while to get it engrained in my mind. For some reason the relationship between bevel angle, blade thickness, and grind height confused me. The same angle will create a higher flat grind on a thicker piece of steel. Say you cut that same profile from 1/4" and 1/8" and ground both of them half way up the width of the blade. The 1/8" thick one would have a much sharper, more acute angle than the 1/4". Again, this is probably obvious, but it's one of those little things that took a while to click with me. In the end I ended up drawing cross sections on paper so that I could visualize it.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Master

Using an angle calculator can help. On a scandi or chisel grind you can input the values and find out how high your bevel will end up.

Heres one I use http://ostermiller.org/calc/triangle.html

Inputting a 25degree scandi grind with 1/4" thick steel the bevel will end up right about 9/16"" tall.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:24 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the advice, I haven't decided yet. I like the idea of the single bevel, but I dont like what it looks like on the other side for a bigger blade.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Steel Addict

I think when they say "single bevel" they mean a scandinavian style grind. That means there is a bevel on both sides, but it goes all the way down to the edge. When you sharpen it you lay the bevel flat on the stone. I think you are thinking of a chisel grind which would be ground only on one side with the other left flat.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:25 PM
Steel Addict

cbsmith, think I'll do flat.

Tags
advice, angle, back, bee, bevel, blade, brass, chisel grind, design, edge, file, flat, flat grind, grinding, hand, jig, knife, material, steel, stone