MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 03-28-2006, 10:57 PM
Skilled

desert iron wood

does anyone have any they would get rid of? id like to try some sometime but its hi dollar from the supply stores. also does anyone have some cool woods they would like to sell/trade . im in the mood for something different. thanks boo

Old 03-29-2006, 12:24 AM
Steel Addict

Wood from knife supply stores is always high priced. Sometimes if I see some that I really like I might buy from them , but you are better off buying bulk and cutting it down from there. I get alot of my wood from www.anexotichardwood.com

The store is about an hour and a half away in Carlsbad so I go every few months. You will get your best results by calling them. If I go there $60.00 of snake wood will yield about 4 knife handles. From a supply store $50.00 will yield one knife handle.

There are alot of similar stores. Sometimes you may have to dry the wood a little but it is worth it cost-wise. I also occasionally buy from ebay, and have never been burned. If you look around a little you can save about 75% from the usual knife supply stores. I'm not trying to put down the knife supply stores, and I use them for other products, like belts, stainless and kaowool. But a deal is a deal.

The best deal on ironwood is in Mexico. They carve it into various shapes and sell it. A few years back I bought a large ironwood turtle for $19.00 and got about 20 knife handles out of it. You have to really look at the grain, most of it is simple, but a few of the pieces are extraordinary. The turtle was partially burl. I'm 2 hours away from the boarder, but there may be a few makers closer that head down there occasionally. Tru-grit pretty much always has good burl ironwood scales for around $25-$35. Again, a call would be the way to go for it.

Email me and we can talk trade
Old 03-29-2006, 05:40 AM
Guru

Hey Bobby, shoot me an email. I got some maple burl and I think our buddy Ronnie has got some curly pear that is really nice too. Got to get together for a small hammering session again one of these days. BTW, got me a flinter and tin cup, now maybe we can rondevous...Bud

Old 03-29-2006, 08:52 AM
Hall of Famer

Check your local, independent lumber/home improvement companies. You'll sometimes be surprised at what they stock. We have one that is Amish operated about an hour from me, and they carry zebra wood, ebony, African blackwood, palm, purple heart, etc. And, they cut to order. I picked up a plank of zebra wood--3"x15"x48" for $50. I plan to make a matching set--a grip and forend for my Encore pistol and knife handle. I should have enough to make 3 stock sets for pistol, and more than several knife handles.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:45 AM
Enthusiast

They don't have desert Iron wood on the site, but there is allot of good stuff here at very reasonable prices. http://www.woodcraft.com/depts.aspx?DeptID=2123
Hope this helps
Jens
I also bum scraps from a few of the local woodworkers I know. There is a brush/broom factory in town that I get pick-up loads of maple from,(costs me a 12pack for the forklift operator) some of which is figured/spalted/ burl/ birdseye, the non figured stuff ends up as charcoal.

Last edited by Jens Butler; 03-29-2006 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:28 PM
Misternatural?

There's a lot around my house. Come on over and I'll show you where you can get it for free.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:17 PM
Living Legend

I've had some real luck at wood turning store. Unfortunately what you save in price you pa for it time spent looking through the woods and the best stuff, the burls, needs stabilization to be usable. You can also check out areas that are doing construction of new houses. One of my friends that makes custom black powder rifles gets the root stock of trees they pull up during the construction. Unfortunately it takes quite some time to air dry this wood but the figure is fantastic.

Jim

Old 03-29-2006, 01:22 PM
Master

I've been trying to get some at a good price too, I thought the prices here were fair; http://www.arizonaironwood.com/ for the lower grades anyway.

Don't tempt me Tai! been wanting to get down there for a moonlight hammerin' party, some free iron wood would be icing on the cake!

Gary

Gary Blessing,
Ex-custom knife maker, Ex-Folder modifier & embelisher.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:53 PM
Skilled

hey thanks for all the great info. ill do some shopping around and see what i can come up with. bobby

Old 03-31-2006, 12:29 AM
Skilled

Search the forums

There was a guy here on the forums that had a bunch for sale a few weeks back. I bought like 12 knife blocks from him at like 4 bucks a pop or something like that. Very reasonable. Also check ebay under knife scales or exotic hardwood. I have way too much to use in the near future. Daniel

http://www.usualsuspect.net/commerce/aff.php?aff=2405
A strong man disciplines his desires, restrains his reactions and keeps his commitments.

Tags
knife