MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 11-12-2003, 08:58 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Khyber Send a message via AIM to Khyber Send a message via Yahoo to Khyber
New Shop - needs new tools (Anvil, Grinder)

Hello CKD Forum community

I have recently completed my shop, and am outfitting it with necessary tools because I would like to start making knives. I have acquired some tools and lots of scrap iron when my grandfather passed away. He had a HUGE shop with lots of junk in it. Some of which I think I can salvage.

1)The anvil - I have railroad iron for an anvil but I need to go get it ground flat somewhere. After I do that, how do i harden it?

2)The grinder - I have acquired a 1/2 hp 1725rpm motor. I can build a grinder for it, but should I go with a 1x42 inch or 2.5 x 48 inch belt. I dont think that the motor will drive a 72 inch belt well enough. (What grits do i need, as well)
Also, i have a few drills laying around.. i think a disc sander would be easily constructed with one of those.

3)The forge - I think i can get some firebricks and make the "one brick forge" And I have an old toaster oven somewhere, too. Maybe i can get a ceramics kiln.

Any help with the above topics would be appreciated. And any more tool suggestions.

Thanks
Charles
Old 11-13-2003, 06:47 PM
RIP 11-09-2011

Hello Charles,
Welcome to Tool Time.
If you use your search button at the top of the page, you can research any of these topics in depth.
We discuss all tools here used in the craft of knifemaking.
Your anvil should be flat, but is already pretty hard.(rail road steel)
Your motor is kinda small, so a small grinder would work best unless you upgrade in power.(1 HP minimum)
A toaster oven won't help make a forge, propane or coal is most common. Other forums about forging include Ed Caffrey's forum,The Out Post Forum, and even the Newbie's Forum, here at CKD.Everything you need to know is right here, welcome aboard!
Take some time to look around and do some research, you'll be amazed at all you find.
Be Blessed!
Old 11-13-2003, 08:00 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Khyber Send a message via AIM to Khyber Send a message via Yahoo to Khyber
Thanks for the kind and swift welcome.

I refer to the toaster oven, because thats what Mr. Goddard refers to in his book, that he uses to heat treat his knives on occasion. Is that not encouraged?

Also, I've done some searching on this site, and I haven't seen many articles on hammers. Will standard ball peen hammers from Harbor Freight (love that store) work, or should I invest in another kind of hammer.

I was digging around at the old shop tonite, and actually found an old forge, complete with gear bellows, etc.. I will post pictures tomorrow, hopefully, as well as pictures of the piece of steel that I found that I think is an old anvil base.

This is a great site, guys. I am amazed at the community support that exists here. I keep staying up late at night reading articles.

Charles.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:47 PM
Hall of Famer

How flat is that RR anvil? Don't need to be all that flat.

Grind it flat with a side grinder or a belt sander coarse belts.

RR track is a work hardening steel/ Lotta people mess about with heating and quenching them. I don't think it is necessary. On that steel/ If you haven't forged much you might forge on it a bit before you spend time and money flattening the anvil.

It is fun

Old 11-14-2003, 09:45 PM
Enthusiast

The RR track has a slightly convex top like most of the RR track that I've seen. I also found a piece of steel that looks like the bottom of an old anvil, the piece with the 4 feet that stick out to the sides, and a sort of flat top. It is HEAVY. The top section is about 8" x 5". I was going to post some pictures, but having camera problems. I can get a machinist friend to grind the top of that flat and drill a hardie hole in it, I think. Then I may mount it on some particle board circles or on an old stump. Would that be an acceptable anvil? I'll post pictures of that and of the old forge that I found to get opinions of them ASAP.

Will a regular 2 pound hammer from Sears or Harbor Freight be acceptable?

Charles.

Tags
forge, forging, knives