MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 01-02-2002, 10:38 AM
Darrel Ralph

New designs comming soon

Hi folks
I want to give you some insight into what we are going to have for you in kits in the next 6-9 months.
RIGHT NOW
In the next 30-60 days we will have a new kit coming from Ed Vanhoy. This kit can be configured to make 6-8 different knife styles with one kit. It is a sweet kit that is made with the same precision as our other kits. This is a gents knife style kit from Ed.
I will make up some LINE drawings over the next few days to give you some idea of what it will look like.
You will be able to order in advance if you wish.

We have 2 knife designs from well-known custom maker Rob Simonich.
Rob has designed us a folder kit and a fixed blade combat knife. The folder will come first , then the fixed blade.
The folder will be a combat style with a 3.995 inch blade.
I will post line drawings of the knife soon so keep your eyes peeled!
You will be able to buy this knife in advance also.

We have two more makers that we are looking at for great designs. I wont go into the design styles yet. I will tell you that they are a tangent from the styles we are working with at this time.

One thing we want to do here at knifekits.
That is to diversify the style of the knives we sell. We feel we can interest more folks this way. The knives I am talking about are not found in the market today. We feel we are setting new trends for the kit market. That?s our job.

Darrel

Old 01-02-2002, 11:31 AM
bandaidman1

These kind of kits interest me....

I know you need to assemble the blade/ frame but in what state does the blade come in? Sharpened or not?

What kind of tools are needed or recommended?

will you do any how to videos?

thanks
Old 01-02-2002, 11:44 AM
Darrel Ralph

Hi
Yes in the long term we will have vidieos the explain how to make the knives. At this time there are instruction sheets. With NO experience you can assemble the raw frame in 30 mins on a folder. The trick is adding the scales and finishing them. I recommend (with a disclaimer your choice and your saftey needs met) a small 1 inch style sander to most of the finish work. The finish work can be done with files and sandpaper if you are on a budjet. Other than that the torx wrench set is nice if you dont own them.
Kalamazoo makes a nice one for about 170.00

For the straight knives they can be assembled and finished in the same manner.
The blades are sharpened on the kits. You can use the finish that is on them or take them to whatever level you want as your carry knife.

Old 01-02-2002, 08:33 PM
kirk2

Could you recommend a make or model of a 1" sander.
Old 01-02-2002, 09:24 PM
Darrel Ralph

Kalamazoo makes a good one. 169.00 or so. Look in your industrial supply house catalogs

Tags
blade, fixed blade, hunting knife, knife, knives