MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 03-06-2002, 12:07 PM
dekanblue

Dust Everywhere

What do you guy do about all the dust from the micarta, etc off the grinders. It's everywhere. I hooked up a vacuum clean to a little port on the side, but that does no good with the belt sander side. wear a respirator, but the basement stinks for hours. :

thanks guys

Ira
Old 03-06-2002, 12:53 PM
Don Cowles

I don't know where you live, but if you are in the boonies, you can hook up some flexible hose to a squirrel cage blower, and shoot it all outside (see Bob Terzuola's book on the tactical folder to see how he does it). If, however, you are in town (as I am), you have to contain it in the house. For me, this has meant spending over $2000 on a dust collection system. ...and I still wear a respirator.
Old 03-06-2002, 12:54 PM
Sam Wereb

Well, a basement is naturally difficult to ventilate. You''ll have to clean as you go. Otherwise, always wear a respirator.
Old 03-07-2002, 09:49 AM
Kelly

I'm useing a vacuum at the machines plus a large fan to blow the residual dust out, but it still permeates everything. The fan works best with a fresh air source on the opposing side of the workshop.
Next attempt to reduce its spread will be to hang floor to ceiling clear plastic strips, like those used sometimes for large external shipping docks, around the dust producers to try to contain the dust in a smaller area.
If that doesn't work, I'll be asked to relocate to a barn during the winter.
Old 03-08-2002, 05:12 PM
Darrel Ralph

Yep Its a little dusty.
Above are some good thoughts on the dust.

Thanks folks.