MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 03-01-2002, 04:00 PM
CoinKnife

Bead blasting

Just started working my first kit (DDRII w/ CF). I am adding a relief for access to the liner lock. As a result I am cutting into the bolster a bit and will need to get the bead-blast finsh redone. Can anyone suggest an economical source for this service?
Old 03-01-2002, 04:44 PM
Coop747

Hey CoinKnife, welcome aboard!

Hmmmm..... There is no real trick to this, but having the correct 'media' (abrasive) is key. I work in a motorcycle shop, and we have a captive sandblast cabinet. Changing the media to a finer grade would work fine. There has to be a number of businesses in your area that could do this. Also, any business that etches glass uses a sandblaster as well.

Or--you could sand them both and just have a rubbed finish instead. Others have done this, too.

Good luck.

Coop
Old 03-01-2002, 10:28 PM
Kelly

My experience with the bolsters is that glass bead blasting does a nice job restoring the finish.
I've seen small blasting cabinets are available from Harbor Freight, Grizzly and others for under $ 100, which work fine with a little bit of extra sealing - and as long as you have an adequate compressor.
As Coop mentioned, the bolsters do look great sanded or polished. I like to work up to 1200 grit and bring them flush with the scales at the same time.
Old 03-05-2002, 08:18 PM
CoinKnife

Thank you for the advise. I'll check a few local glass and machine shops.

One additional question...satin finish. I have sanded the bolsters to 400 grit and they are close to satin (a few remaining scratches to sand out). How do I get a true satin finish? buffer?

Old 03-08-2002, 05:15 PM
Darrel Ralph

Hi Guys
They make a pencil blaster that is very inexpensive.
You can make your own cabinet out of plywood.
A small compressor and your in business!

Tags
knife