MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 03-20-2002, 11:39 PM
Coop747

Stag DDR-1 project

Well I've been busy these last few days. I got another one of these great knife kits, and it has been consuming my time. The problem with knifemaking (...and life for that matter! ) is once you set a standard for yourself, it's *hard* to do anything less.

I wanted to try a bigger knife, and also wanted to do something in stag with all those slabs Darrell Ralph has for sale. So I bought a set, and BOY did it take some work to trim them down to fit. But trim I did with the help of a belt sander. They taper nicely outward at the end of the handle. I also cut a piece of Rosewood for a back spacer.

Going further, I wanted to really dress this up a bit. So I did my 'Lightning Bolt' filework on the whole blade, as well as some careful pattern work on the liners. (This was the hardest part of this whole project.) Actually, I didn't use a file at all, but used rotary stones for all of the work. Measured and scribed marks with machinist's dye and went at it!

Since the bolsters come pre-drilled for the clip, I needed to use it. So I styled it, keeping with my liner filework pattern. I gave the blade, bolsters, clip, and liners the hand-rubbed finish, and thinned and modified the thumbstud for a better grip. Lastly, I carved out a small cutaway for the liner access to close it.

The action on this knife is unbelievable! The blade swings open effortlessly, clacks tight, and closes dead center with only .010" liner clearance on each side. The mechanicals couldn't get any better for any price.

I'm sure proud of this one! It took a lot of work, and even more forethought, but it was well worth it! Hope it inspires you too!

Coop

(I posted this in the Gallery as well for others to check out!)

Old 03-20-2002, 11:48 PM
SIGGI

Oh sure, Coop.

Win the photo contest and there is no stopping you.

That is verrrrrrry fine work. You have really raised the bar with these kits! You are totally amazing. And I am beyond impressed.

BTW, you photos are great too. You Suck : :rollin: :

Bob Sigmon
Old 03-21-2002, 05:31 AM
robertwashburn

ideas

Coop ,You`re looking good on that one .You just gave me a couple more ideas .The little one I posted the other day has a new 52100 blade .You know how us hammer guys like the forged blade look. Keep up the good work. Robert
Old 03-21-2002, 07:17 AM
nybble

re: ddr-1 project

####, man. I really love that spacer! And the "sharpened" clip! Really amazing - when're you going to make one from scratch?

What is the spacer?
Old 03-21-2002, 07:15 PM
Kelly

Love that filework! And, the photos are great!

Old 03-21-2002, 07:43 PM
Big DB

Coop Coop you poop,
Just simply amazing!!! I think that is by far the best one I have seen yet. Fantastic job all around. I would be way proud of that one. You are making me sick, in a good way I think. Can't wait to see your next creation.
Dan
Old 03-21-2002, 07:56 PM
kelcher

nice

Very nice work, I think I've decided to try this.
Old 03-21-2002, 09:28 PM
CoinKnife

Re: nice

Wow!
What did you use for the thumb stud? That's not the normal one that comes installed on the DDR.
Old 03-21-2002, 10:29 PM
Coop747

Thanks guys!!

I had fun with this one, and have gotten many questions and compliments. (As well as some stabs! BEAT IT!!! )

I gave it my full report in the other 'Workshop procedures' thread. Check it out!

See ya around,

Coop
Old 03-22-2002, 09:18 AM
jar

Re: Thanks guys!!

hey Coop.
I think I'll just quit building these things. I can see that there is no hope for me. By the way, that knife is OKAY.
Old 03-22-2002, 11:17 AM
Osprey Guy

This is one flipped out, beautiful knife! And you can tell from the (great) photos that the tolerances are amazing. Wonderful. Gives me something to work towards, someday...
Osprey
PS. Thanks again for helping me out with the photos.
Old 03-23-2002, 09:59 AM
Sam Wereb

That's beautiful. Nice stag, and really inspired filework. Very well done!

Tags
blade, knife