MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-20-2001, 09:06 AM
Kevin Miller

Knife Design

Is it ever OK to copy another makers or manufacturers knife designs?

Are knife designs copyrighted?
Old 09-20-2001, 09:44 AM
BCB27

Let me see if I can answer this with some random thoughts.
First, it is impossible to make a knife without copying some aspects. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a knife. I would expect the reactions to a 'copied' knife to vary greatly depending on a number of aspects. For example, imagine the difference in reactions between a Loveless drop point copy (probably the most widely copied) and a copy of a one-of-a-kind art knife by John Lewis Jensen.
My understanding is that you can be sued for 'borrowing' a patented design. You should probably not copy a factory design if you plan to market them.
To me, the design phase is one of the most enjoyable parts of knifemaking. Most of my designs still haven't made it to steel. I would encourage you to work on your own designs, even if it's just a drop point hunter. Over time, you will refine your design based on what you learn.

Brett
Old 09-20-2001, 03:04 PM
Ray Murski

knife design

Coping other knife designs will help you learn how to design your own and come up with your own style of knife. Some makers consider some of the items on a knife as their trade mark. Like holes in a clip or dots on a piviot pin. Knife names are trade marked by alot of makers. If you see some knives that you would like to make, you can call up the maker and talk to them about the knife. They will inform you of what they considered to be their trade mark and may help you out on the rest of the design of the knife

Ray
Old 09-21-2001, 06:10 AM
george tichbourne

Re: knife design

It is not ethical to copy but quite legal as there are no copyrights possible on fixed blade knives as such. The reason....knives have been around in some form or another for about 1.5 million years ranging from stone cutting instruments to the present high tech. In that period every possible design element has been utilized somewhere and being used had passed into the public domain.

The challenge today is recombining these design elements.. a blade shape from here, a guard from there, a handle design from somewhere else in a functional and pleasing package. In doing this some how a maker has to incorporate a bit of himself in the finished product. Have you noticed that some makers work can be picked out across the room because of a certain flair or characteristic while other makers work lacks that personal touch and doesn't stand out at all?

It takes several years of knifemaking before a maker's work begins to develop that distictive characteristic that marks the work as his own even if you cannot see the name on the blade. Makers who copy are often refered to as "talented" but never "great".
Old 09-21-2001, 05:23 PM
Tom Ferry

I agree with everything being said about knives and designing in general. It is hard when starting out to come up with a new combination of the same curves and lines that have been used forever but overtime it becomes easier. I also agree that when starting out it is acceptable and more helpful to craft knives after well designed knives than try to understand what makes one knife better than another on your own. By imitating others work you begin to see the proper flow of a knife and eventually expand on that into your own designs. I had an experience at a show this year that I feel crossed the line of copying a knife design. A customer had spent over an hour at my table fondiling one of my folders and asking the normal questions. Then said he would be back. Well a couple hours later I was talking to another maker when I noticed he had returned to the table. So on the way back I overheard my wife tell him that he would have to talk to me because she didnt feel comfortable with whatever he was refering to. Then as I walked up he proceeded to introduce me to another maker who had a table in the show and then asked me if the other maker could take my knife to his table and trace the outline so that maker could make him one cheaper! Well needless to say we had a few words. A buyer doing that is one thing but for another maker to be there and offer to do it is unacceptable. Besides that any decent maker can do a close reproduction of any knife without an outline to follow.
So thats my two cents on the subject.
Old 09-22-2001, 08:28 AM
Geno

The short answer is YES, it is OK, and sort of expected.

Tags
art knife, blade, fixed blade, hunting knife, knife, knives