MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Georgia Knifemaker's Guild

Georgia Knifemaker's Guild The Georgia Knifemaker's Guild. Furthering and fostering the passion of knives, knifemaking, and related interests

Old 06-28-2007, 07:08 PM
Skilled

August meeting of the Georgia Guild

The next meeting of the Georgia Custom knifemakers Guild will be on us before you know it. It is going to be held on August the 18th at Scott Davidson?s Shop in Alto, GA. Check the Georgia Guild Web site for directions as time gets closer. Scott has a great shop to visit in the foot hills of north Georgia and I know that you won?t want to miss it. Last time he hosted a meeting we had a great time and the food was fantastic.
The meeting will follow a similar format as others, with the board meeting held at 8:00, followed by the general meeting at 9:15or 9:30. Immediately following the general meeting, the demonstrations will begin. This meeting will focus on knife handles in an effort to answer questions asked at the last meeting. Carl and I will lead a brief discussion on stick tang knife handles. This discussion will be followed by Charlie Mathews? demonstration on tapering tangs. Next will be lunch and then Scott will provide the last demonstration on installing slab handles on a blade.
During the lunch break we will have the ?iron in the hat? drawing. That?s how we pay for lunch, so don?t forget to bring something for the auction.
Wayne Hensley has agreed to donate a knife for the John Poythress Scholarship Fund. Tickets will be sold during the meeting and a drawing will be held for the knife after lunch. Someone will go home with a knife made by the current Vice President of the Knifemakers Guild. Look for a picture as the time gets closer. If you would like to donate a knife to help raise money for the John Poythress Scholarship Fund, get in touch with Carl.
We are trying hard to have demonstrations that you want to see. In order to do that, we need people to mention something that they need demonstrated. If someone is doing something that you want to see demonstrated or if you are looking for an easier way to get something done, mention it to either Carl or me and we will see if we can set it up. If you would like to volunteer to do a demonstration or discussion, please let us know.
Save the date of August 18th for the Guild meeting at Scott?s. Bring some knives you have made for the display table and don?t for get to bring something for the ?iron in the hat? raffle. I?ll see you at Scott?s.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:48 PM
Skilled

That works out just right, Harry. I get back from a trip out west the weekend before that so I should be able to make it.

Looking forward to it.

Carey

You are cordially invited to check out my web site:
Handmade Knives by Carey Quinn
Old 06-29-2007, 09:33 PM
Skilled

Sounds good Carey. Hope to see you there. Something that I left out of the message that is very important is to let Scott know that you will be able to make the meeting if you can . That way he will know how many to plan for. E-mail him at solidrockknives@bellsouth.net if you can make the meeting.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:51 PM

Hey Carey,
Bring something neat back for show and tell (like a trunk load of ironwood). Just kidding, have a safe journey. See you there.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 07-01-2007, 09:16 PM

Just to reinforce what Harry has said - please let Scott know if you plan to attend. It is quite an undertaking to host one of these meetings and anyone willing to do this deserves the courtesy of your reply.

To those who are not members but are interested in checking the Guild out, this is an excellent time. You are encouraged to come be our guest, meet some genuine talent, hopefully learn something, and make many new friends. There is no pressure to join the Guild (but you probably will).
Please, as stated above, let us know you are coming so we can make arrangements and be sure to look for you at the meeting.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-06-2007, 09:03 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Nuts.

I just found out that I have to work on the 18th, so no meeting for me.

You guys take care and have fun. I'll see you all at Trackrock.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 08-06-2007, 11:39 AM

I will also be unable to make the Guild meeting in August. See you guys at TrackRock!
Old 08-06-2007, 05:42 PM
Skilled

Sorry gang, but I won't be able to make it either. My middle brother has scheduled the three of us brothers and our sons to go to Orange Beach, on Alabama's beautiful coast, for a long weekend.

It will be just the guys this trip. It will be the first time we have taken a trip as brothers since 1983, and we ain't gettin' no younger. Although I am the oldest of the three, you can't tell it by my good looks.

I will miss you guys and gals.

Robert
Old 08-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Skilled

It looks like I might have to leave before lunch on Saturday, but I plan on staying as long as I can.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:06 PM

Avery and I have this marked on our calendar. We won't be able to get there Friday night but we should be there Saturday morning early for the meeting. He has missed the last Georgia and NC meeting and is ready to go. He asks almost every day if we are still going. I think you guys have him hooked.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:11 PM
Skilled

We just got from our trip out west and I am really looking forward to seeing everyone at the meeting.

Carl, I didn't find any ironwood but I did get a little something to pass around.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:06 PM

Glad you made it back Carey.
We won't need shots will we?
See you next weekend.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Skilled

Carl,

Liquid or what?

Old 08-15-2007, 10:09 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
I will not be able to attend the meeting. I have friends coming to spend a few days with me at that time. See you all at the TR hammer in! Sandy

Old 08-20-2007, 08:17 PM
Steel Addict

If you missed the meeting this past weekend at Scott Davidson's shop, you missed a good one. There was plenty of good food, great people to be around and plenty of knife talk. Thanks Scott for a great time.

www.twinxblades.com
Director Knifemakers Guild

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives