MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > The Watering Hole

The Watering Hole Weekends, girlfriends or happenings ... no knife talk allowed!

Old 12-14-2006, 08:30 AM
Living Legend

Those serving in uniform during the holidays

Hi guys,

My Reserve base is running a drive for many of our sailors over in Iraq & Afghanistan (who have received very little mail) where we are sponsoring them to send out care packages for the Christmas.

This reminds me of the many other efforts that are going on out there. Please remember that these service members are a way from home and family, many very far away. There are usually efforts in every area to let them know we are thinking of them and appreciate what they give up to serve. I remember where families would host sailors from our ship for Thanksgiving & Christmas dinners in their homes. A care package effort like my base is doing. We have a tendency to only think of them on military style holidays such as Veteran?s Day, 4th of July and Memorial Day, but they are serving 24/7.

Sorry about the soap box but I remember when I was out to sea 9 months during Desert Shield/Storm over Christmas and didn't get any mail or packages and would not want others to feel them same.

Jim

Old 12-14-2006, 12:13 PM
Skilled

As a former sailor myself, I know how it feels to get skipped at mail call while out to see. I didn't have it as bad as others because of my job we could call home once a month or so as a perk.

What can I do to help out your reserve unit?

"Live so that your friends can defend you but never have to" - Arnold H. Glascow
Old 12-14-2006, 04:13 PM
Living Legend

I appreciate that Jayson and if you would like I can call the base and get a name that I can PM you with. We are gathering in groups of four to collect about $10 each. One person pays for shipping, another for treats and the other two for the gift. My brother-in-law sent me some suggestions of things that worked out from when he was over in Iraq and it looks like he'll be headed over again next year. The life of an active duty STSGT in the Marines.

Mostly this is to remind people that there are many ways to help and remember those away from home such as Doggett. A great man who has been sent over twice to serve.

I'm sorry if it came out a little heavy handed ,
Jim