MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > The Watering Hole

The Watering Hole Weekends, girlfriends or happenings ... no knife talk allowed!

Old 11-20-2006, 12:13 PM
Living Legend

Practice for Christmas roast

Hi guys,

Been hanging out at a BBQ forum lately and they like to see the final results. I thought I'd share (tease) you guys with my rib roast from this weekend.

After a day of dry aging in the fridge:

A dry brine for 2 hours:

Basic seasonings - course salt and fresh cracked pepper:

Sear, move over to other side of grill and cook until 135F (grill was hot enough to forge on )

After 10 min rest:

Ready!!!

Last edited by Drac; 11-21-2006 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:53 PM
Living Legend

I will be right over! What brand of beer do you like!
Old 11-20-2006, 10:26 PM
Skilled

Watch out at the green lights , Finny , I might be comin from the other way. That looks wonderfull.

Old 11-21-2006, 08:23 AM
Master

####, now I'm hungry!

Got a forum link?

G.

Gary Blessing,
Ex-custom knife maker, Ex-Folder modifier & embelisher.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:35 AM
Living Legend

http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/

Old 11-21-2006, 11:00 AM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwane Oliver
Watch out at the green lights , Finny , I might be comin from the other way. That looks wonderfull.
Dwane's blowing the reds and will get there before me but I got the beer!
Old 11-21-2006, 11:37 AM
Living Legend

Thanks guys,

I'm not sure you guys would enjoy where I live. Right in the middle of suburbia America with an HOA and everything

Grilling is one of my cooking passions, that and pastry/confections. It's how I won my wife, she hates to cook. With just the two of us grilling is a great way to throw a quick meal together.

I have been majorly tied up with my Christmas candies starting this past weekend. Already got two cream centers, caramel and toffee done and am getting ready to start the truffles and divinity Thursday. If I don't get them done my family will disown me

Jim

P.S. - I'm more or a rum or scotch man, Glenmoran(sp?) rules

Old 11-21-2006, 12:02 PM
Master

That first searing at forge temp works wonders, I do the same thing myself(a forge blower should come standard on all BBQs). My fav is a top round roast cooked on a spit with a rub of salt, pepper, rosemary, and thyme. If you slice off pieces as it's cooking and reapply more rub to the cut off area, something about the freshly sliced off piece is amazingly good, it loses a little something after it's sat on a plate for a minute.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:05 PM
Living Legend

Slow barbequing is my favorite cooking style over any other. At least twice a year I get a 12 Lbs prime rib from our local old fashioned butcher and dry cure it for three days. Then the garlic slices get poked in it and a dry rub put on the night before. I grow my own horseradish and this is time of year to dig it up and start grinding.

I give the prime rib at least 6-7 hrs on the BBQ keeping th basting pan full and smoker chip pan piled up. When the internal temp gets to 143-45 it time to gorge out. I get at least a 1/2" smoke ring visible when I slice it.

Great post Jim! Most people don't take the time to learn the best way to slow cook on the barby.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:45 PM
Living Legend

Andrew, that's true on the slicing. I never cut into it until I'm ready to eat. The resting is done as a whole. Once you cut it starts to dry out.

Do you apply the herbs before or after the initial sear? I normally stick with salt and pepper, which like high heat but occasionally I like to add powered garlic, which tastes nasty after high heat. Do you have a problem with the herbs burning?

B, I haven't done a large rib roast since I worked in a restaurant about a decade ago. With just me and my wife a single bone one works best, but I do miss the flavor of the large ones. I have never smoked one before; you said the smoke ring goes a 1/2" deep? That is some major flavor there . Does it go more toward the brisket in flavor or does it keep the rib flavor? How tender is it? I keep mine fairly rare, so it stays very tender but my wife prefers her's more done so smoking might give the best of both worlds if I can smoke a small roast.

Thanks for the suggestions guys,
Jim

Old 11-21-2006, 05:16 PM
Master

Quote:
Do you apply the herbs before or after the initial sear? I normally stick with salt and pepper, which like high heat but occasionally I like to add powered garlic, which tastes nasty after high heat. Do you have a problem with the herbs burning?
I put them on before, I usually use a little bit of olive oil to help it stick. The herbs do burn, but it's not a problem, it enhances the flavor. I've never done it with garlic, that might not be so good burnt.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:40 PM
Guru

that second photo looks like something in my fridge and I dont think it's season!

Ed

But steel - cold steel is master of them all.
Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)
Old 11-21-2006, 06:27 PM
Living Legend

Jim, I think the deep smoke ring is because I keep a large cake pan under it full of a wine/vinegar and water mix. The high humidity allows the surface to stay moist and suck the smoke residue in deaper via osmosis. I also skewer it on the rotisserie to keep it turning. It comes out very tender but only if I pull it right when it hits 145 (ish).

I also like to make the Merlot aus jus by reducing down 4x of Merlot and then simmering fresh sage in it. I strain the au jus through a fine strainer and it's ready to go.

We are lucky to have Stewarts Meats only five miles away. They can get some big prime ribs with only a few days notice. I used to make my own bacon and got my side pork from them also.

I don't pre-sear anymore, I have seen too many programs on The Food Network saying it does not keep the meat any more moist. It may actually cause it to dry faster since the seared fibers will crack faster when the cooking starts.

Last edited by B.Finnigan; 11-21-2006 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:42 PM
Living Legend

B, I freely admit to being a Food Network junkie!!

I remember a Good Eats show that actually tested it and, as you said, found out you will loose more juices searing. I sear for flavor, that's what got me hooked on grilling

Jim

Old 11-26-2006, 10:26 AM
Enthusiast

Jim.....I don't know what could be better on a Sunday early morning than reading and looking at knives and FOOD....!!! Two questions for you...what is "dry aging and how does it affect the meat?
Bernie

Tags
forge, knife, knife making, knives