MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Historical Inspiration

Historical Inspiration This forum is dedicated to the discussion of historical knife design and its influence on modern custom knife work.

Old 10-04-2004, 01:50 PM
Steel Addict

Not knife, Armor Question

I know this is not about knife but I figure you all might get me in the right direction.

I've been research more of my family history since spending a lot of time with the family elders.

I have found that I am related to Lord Hastings of the War of the Roses fame in 1466. I have search 15th century armor and found some stuff, mix of Brit, German, and Italian. I'm trying to find what he and his forces may have been actually wearing. How would you find out things like that, that specific. He is somewhat well know. He was also captured and I believe the first put to death after the battles. What family History .

Thanks

A baby's father
Some mother's son
Old 10-04-2004, 02:48 PM
Guru

Hi Mike

The Wars of the Roses is a fascinating conflict .....

I can rattle off a few dozen sources for you. I'll start with the most important from a visual point of view.

Christopher Gravett, English Medieval Knight 1400-1500, Osprey Publishing, London

Stephen Turnbull, The Handbook of the Medieval Knight, Cassell & Co, London 1985

Ian Heath, Armies of the Middle Ages Vol I, Wargames Research Group, 1982

Terence Wise, Medieval European Armies, Osprey Publishing, London 1975

Hubert Cole, The Wars of the Roses

That's a start

The Osprey books are especially good because they are stuffed with illustrations and have good bibliographies.

Roger

Old 10-04-2004, 03:06 PM
Guru

Then there is The Lance and Longbow Society who have one or two publications....

http://www.lanceandlongbow.com/lls_publications.html

Roger

Old 10-04-2004, 05:06 PM
Skilled

Send a message via ICQ to sjaqua
Also the Royal Armouries could be a big help. They have a great deal of arms and armour from that conflict. In fact you will find that 15th century armour is well documented. This was a point in history that personal body armour was at it's peak. A peak that was soon to decline, because firearms were already making their impact felt on the battle field.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The most important right of all, is that of Free Speech. With out that, all your other rights will soon be taken away. So, I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend until death, your right to say it!
Old 10-07-2004, 08:28 AM
Guru

Give me till the weekend and I can get some pics up for you. I have lots of pics of import armour during that era as well as plenty of illuminations done shortly thereafter. I'll scan in some this weekend for you.

Planning on building a set of armour?

Old 10-07-2004, 09:51 AM
Steel Addict

Oh, I would love to build a set. Right now I'm stuck in an apartment and can't do to much. I thinking about the SCA and see if I can find someone that might be doing some to hang out with.

That would be great if you post some pics. How did you come about then, your own personal trips and pics or books. I went to London once in '90 and I hate that I didn't get to go to any musems.

Thanks,
Mike

A baby's father
Some mother's son
Old 10-08-2004, 10:21 AM
Guru

I just got back from a whirlwind armour museum tour through the Northeast where we got to mess with some items "behind the scenes". I have about 700MB of pics I'm manipulating right now. I've also been to Paris where I took a lot of pics. A few friends went over to the UK and took pics at Leeds and a few other places.

Check out http://www.armourarchive.org sometime as well. The "armour cult" site. Most of us wacko armouring types hang out there on occaision.

Tags
knife