MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-25-2004, 12:24 PM
Enthusiast

Where to heat treat O-1

I just finished my second blade its made from O-1 and I'd like to get it professionally heat treated complete with sub-zero quenching however it seems that most places don't handle O-1 anymore. Can you help me out and point me in the direction of someone who will handle this for me. I know Hienzelman Heat Treating handles O-1 but they have a $60 minimum. Any help would be appreciated.

Mark
Old 02-25-2004, 02:59 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Professional heat treaters who are not in the business of heat treating knives specifically probably won't do you much good. They might do the job but it would likely not be any better than you could do. Most of the heat treaters who do work exclusively with knives don't handle carbon steel.

One of the reasons most of us recommend that Newbies usie carbon steel is because you can heat treat it yourself. The real performance of any blade comes from the heat treat so don't pass up this opportunity to make this blade truly yours and learn a great deal at the same time.

As for the cryo, I do it to my carbon blades but most people say that the effect on carbon steel is very limited so don't lose any sleep over not being able to get it for this blade.

The Search key can provide tons of info on heat treating O1 at home, with litte equipment, and a small budget. Even if you had to spend that same $60 you would be able to use it over and over again.

Maybe someone will be able to recommend a heat treater or maybe on of us will volunteer to do it for you but I hope you will consider doing it yourself. That's where the real fun of knifemaking comes in ............

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-25-2004, 09:35 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to davebolton
WE'd be happy to heat treat your blade, but you can find heat treat info. for O-1 at our site. It is fun to do it yourself. We do cryo for some steels, though not for O-1, unless you specifically want it. We also provide differential hardening or tempering for O-1. Check us out.

davebolton@smithandboltonknives.com
www.smithandboltonknives.com
Old 02-26-2004, 11:52 AM
Enthusiast

O-1 heattreat

Thanks guys I'll looking into heat treating myself.

Tags
blade, knife, knives