MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 03-09-2003, 04:39 PM
Skilled

2 Bailey Bradshaw Knives, 1 Happy Camper

It?s not often that I break out of the hunter / fighter / bowie paradigm, but this is one occasion where I?m glad I did. The story of this first knife starts on E-Bay where I came across a fairly hazy photograph of a Bradshaw dagger and decided I had to have it. When the knife arrived and the haze lifted it was clear that the white mammoth ivory scales had shrunk quite a bit. Bummer. But these things will happen. I contacted Bailey and discussed the re-handling options and settled on pearl because it because we felt it suited this type of knife and because it is very stable. Bailey quoted me a very modest price and a very quick turnaround for the repair and off went the knife to Texas.

When it returned (in the end result, Bailey fixed it faster than the courier could deliver it ? more on that later) I was in for a pleasant surprise. Not only did Bailey install a beautiful pair of A-grade pearl scales, but he a) refinished the guard to remove a few light scratches that I knew were there but didn?t mention; b) hand-rubbed a new fine-grit satin finish onto the blade because he thought it needed it (I hadn?t thought so, but I sure noticed that the blade looked a whole lot better than I remembered); c) re-tuned the silver scabbard for a tighter, more secure fit and d) packaged the knife in a padded, zippered case! Going the extra mile doesn?t begin to describe what Bailey did for me on this knife.

Now for the knife itself: 6? blade of hand-forged 1084 with fuller, 10 ?? overall length, 416 stainless steel hilt:

Try as I might I couldn?t capture the colour in the pearl. Trust me, it?s there:

A very elegant and tremendously well-executed overall package, if I do say so myself.

Shortly after sending off the dagger I attended the Arkansas Custom Knife show in Little Rock where I met Bailey and his utterly charming wife Courtenay. There were more than a few knives at their table that I would have loved to have taken home, but this little clip-point boot / utility knife really caught my eye. It sports a 3 ?? blade of 1084 with a 416 ss guard, ivory scales and comes with a leather sheath:

Bailey puts as nice a finish on a blade as I have seen, and every aspect of this knife is so pristine that it?s hard to imagine putting it to use, even though the overall design makes for a great fixed-blade every day carry. My good buddy Danbo snapped up the stag version of this knife (he?s got a good eye for a great blade and a quick trigger when it comes to nice stag).

I had asked Bailey to hang onto the knife and ship it out with the re-handled dagger when it was completed. I also asked him to send them by a certain courier that won?t be seeing any more of my business. I won?t bore you with the details of the shipment nightmare that ensued ? suffice to say that it was a spectacular combination of incompetence and indifference on the part of the courier. I have to say a special thanks to Courtenay who went above and beyond the reasonably expected to try to help sort out a mess that was not of their making. Her efforts were deeply appreciated. Dealing with genuinely good people like the Bradshaws adds a tremendous dimension to the ownership of a fine blade.

Cheers,

Roger

PS ? I took the pics and Murray White re-sized them and adjusted them as I work through some software problems.
Old 03-09-2003, 08:04 PM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

Thumbs up

Bailey's dagger is elegant, no doubt about it. But the little ivory handled utility really does it for me. Good stuff!

Click the banner above to visit my website
Old 03-09-2003, 09:46 PM

Boy you got some winners! And a fine story to boot. eBay has it's share of winners and weiners. I know you've made up for it in spades here.

Nice to here Bailey is taking care of his customer's pronto. That's impressive.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 03-10-2003, 08:04 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Beautiful pieces. Methinks you did well, especially for Ebay. It's so easy to get ripped off there, but every once in a while, you'll luck up on a great deal like this.

Thanks for the look.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 03-10-2003, 04:45 PM
Guru

That is a beautiful dagger Roger. I'm glad ebay sometimes delivers the good stuff. The treatment you received from the Bradshaws just demonstrates how good 'knife people' are.

That ivory-handled knife is so nice. It demonstrates the old maxim "less is more". It just doesn't need anything else does it?

Roger

Old 03-11-2003, 10:05 AM
Skilled

Thanks for the comments guys!

Roger
Old 03-11-2003, 05:21 PM
Guru

Great story Roger!

...And beautiful knives!!

You guys know of course, that Bailey is a MEMBER here at CKD?..... Registered about a month ago.
Now....if we could get him to display every now and then..... ....life would be good!.....:cool:

Tim
Old 03-11-2003, 05:59 PM
Skilled

Tim,

I have it on good authority that Bailey is polishing up his photography skills - not doubt we'll see more of his stuff in the future. Of course, he could just send me everything he makes and I could take the pics - that option really works for me.

Cheers,

Roger
Old 03-11-2003, 08:27 PM
Hall of Famer

good score, roger. congratulations.
adn thanx for the story.

Tags
blade, knife, knives