MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 12-30-2001, 08:01 PM
Darrel Ralph

First off

Thanks for the kind welcome. Alex and myself have been working like dogs to get this site up and running.
The intent of this site is for folks who want to make folders and straight knives. We hope it is a great educational tool.

There is a section for high end makers who want QUALITY precision folder parts and screws also.
We will have some supplies of various types from time to time also.

Any questions please go ahead and post them . These posts will most likley become FAQ'S for the site over time.

Thaks for your kind posts.

Old 12-30-2001, 11:39 PM
Bimjo

As someone interested in someday actually trying to make a decent folder, I look forward to building a few outstanding ones to sort of "get the feel" for it.

Thanks in advance for all the fun I'm going to have, whether I get around to ever building one of my own design or not.

Question- will there be kits of the many lock types available, and maybe a slip joint or two as well? Or just liner locks?

Whew, I'm jazzed!
Old 12-31-2001, 07:24 AM
Darrel Ralph

Its sounds like your ready to go!
Yes there will be different style kits in time.
Old 12-31-2001, 01:41 PM
CKDadmin

Bimjo,

Before this is over, not only will we have lockbacks and slipjoint kits available, but we hope to have some really slick designs and multiple sizes and versions of each locking mechanism type.

When you have a minute, signup for the mailing list over on the knifekits.com site and we'll make sure you're one of the first to see the new designs when they're ready for market. We'll be using that as a pre-market announcement piece, as well as a place to hear about some limited run items and material specials that we run across.

Thanks for your interest. I hope you enjoy the new site!

Alex
Old 12-31-2001, 03:27 PM
rfrink

mini 605

I've seen the mini 605 at Koval Knives......sweet! Perfect size for me.

Rob

Old 12-31-2001, 08:52 PM
Bill Foote

Re: mini 605

I started with kit knives from Koval and Texas Knifemaker before progressing to grinding my own fixed blades. I've built a few 605's and they all were smooth and locked nicely with no play. These are without a doubt the best kit knives I've seen.
They are a good introduction to building your own.
Bill
Old 12-31-2001, 11:57 PM
Bimjo

Oh, you guys are

just flat killing me here.

I really need to get a shop built soon!
Old 01-01-2002, 03:55 PM
PhilL0496

Re: Oh, you guys are

What a great idea!
Darrel & Alex, I just want to wish you guys a lot of success with this.
It's always been my plan to be making knives when I had the space and the time. You've just taken away all my reasons for not getting started right now.
Old 01-02-2002, 10:21 AM
Darrel Ralph

Thanks for all the kind words.
New product will be our focus. We plan on changing the design line as often as we can to accomadate the folks who love kits.

Old 01-02-2002, 12:02 PM
Roger Gregory

I signed up on the site for that newsletter as soon as I saw the little box

This really does mean I'm going to have to make a couple of those little folders while I wait for the new designs. There is no way I am ever going to have all the machinery needed for building this sort of folder from scratch but I can play with handles, files and maybe even forge a blade or too....

Roger
Old 01-02-2002, 02:39 PM
CKDadmin

Roger,

That's exactly why this project exists. We are hoping that guy's that haven't been able to get all the tools together needed to build this level of stuff from scratch can have a good time building knives like the pros do. We're going to start a contest soon that will allow you guys to show off your modifications. I can't wait to see what all everyone comes up with ... should be really neat!

Alex
Old 01-02-2002, 03:49 PM
Roger Gregory

Alex

I was going to suggest that you show some of the best finished knives on the site but I bet you and Darrell are way ahead of me there

A contest, oh goody! I'm only entering if you do.....

Roger

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives