MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 02-14-2002, 10:01 AM
clayton

what belt sander to buy????

hi,
im moving into a house and can finely get a belt sander to finish off knives, and to do other stuff too. i went to sears and they had a few that weren't that expensive around $200. is there a certain width that i should get? or brands?
Old 02-14-2002, 10:24 AM
SIGGI

If you just want to finish scales on kits you can get a 1x30 or 1x42 to do slack belt sanding. I've got one from Kalamazoo (Koval has them) that works real nice and wasn't too expensive. The ones from Craftsman and Grizzly I haven't used, I'm sure that guys that have them will let you know their opinion.

Hope this helps,

Bob Sigmon

PS - Clayton, sign up as a member of the CKD (it's Free) Fill in your info (location, etc)
Old 02-14-2002, 03:10 PM
Sam Wereb

Which belt sander to buy?

If you want a serious grinding and finishing machine, suitable for knifemaking and anything else, I recommend you go for a KMG-1 at www.beaumontmetalworks.com

I am on my THIRD inexpensive Craftsman grinder. For the money I spent on three inferior, half-assed grinders, I could have gotten one excellent machine which will last me a lifetime. I still don't have a good grinder, or my original $800.

How I ever thought these were inexpensive, I don't know. You can't save money buying cheap tools. I will buy a KMG-1 next, and be done with it.

Woodworkers have a saying about shop tools: If it says "Craftsman" on it, and you have to plug it in, don't buy it. I've learned, the hard way, that they are right.

Welcome to the forums. I hope you'll register when you have a chance. This is a great place.

Old 02-14-2002, 04:01 PM
SIGGI

Re: Which belt sander to buy?

I feel the same as Sam about saving for a better grinder. I bought the 1x42 Kzoo strictly for slack belt on handles..I bought a Log Cabin Forge Grinder and am very happy with it. I have heard nothing but good things about Rob Frinks KMG-1. Good Tools last forever.

Good Luck

Bob Sigmon

Tags
forge, knives