MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 03-10-2002, 07:24 AM
droopy170

new to forum

I have never made any kind of kit knife before, but I fell in love with the DDR-II kit. From what I have seen on this forum you guys are all great. These are no kidding some beautiful knives. I am planning on just doing the finished kits for now. What kind of tools do I need to finish the scales etc. I would really appreciate any advice.
Droopy170
Old 03-10-2002, 11:13 AM
Kelly

The kits are so well made that all you really need to finish them into a great looking knife are:
- Torx screw #######.
- scale material and a hand or powersaw to rough cut to shape
- files or sandpaper wrapped around blocks of wood to shape them - a powered sander makes this step quick and easy, but isn't necessary.
- drill and bits for the scale screws. A step drill bit can take care of the screw hole and countersink in one step.
- tape to mask the bolsters, if you want to preserve the bead blasted finish and make the scales close to flush, or simply finish sand both to the final finish.
- sandpaper for final shaping and finish. A sheet of sandpaper glued to a glass plate is helpful in flattening the scales.
- sealer and finish for wood scales, if needed.

Old 03-10-2002, 12:22 PM
droopy170

thanks for the info
Old 03-11-2002, 12:11 PM
Coop747

Hey Droopy, welcome to the CKD forums.

There is no one better-qualified than Kelly to help you along. His advice is always good.

Good choice for your knife. The DDR-2 was my first, and after that I fell in love with them! It won't disappoint you at all. When you finish it post a pic or chase one to me for me to show it off. I think I'll go play with mine right now.....
See ya!

Coop

Tags
knife, knives