MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 03-22-2002, 01:16 AM
Osprey Guy

Finished my 1st kit-a DDr2

I'm going to try and post a photo of my finished knife. I'm still learning the best way to shoot it. Even though this is my first knife ever, I decided to get a little ambitious and try something else I've never done in my life...inlay! Gold mother of pearl. I carved the circles out myself just by "eyeballing" them and the holes in the handle as well. I think I did O.K. first time out the gate. The knife was a lot of fun along with a whole bunch of hard work. Man the inlay was tough! (I told Darrell that I thought it would be easy...yeah right!) I made a lot of mistakes and then fixed them as best I could. But I suppose that's part of the "journey". By the way, I don't have much of a tool shop yet and did the entire knife with a dremel, some files, and a whole lot of sandpaper. All in all, this was a blast. I just received another kit (can't wait to get started) and have ordered 7 of the "coming in June" kits! Anyway here goes my attempt at the photo.
Darrell-thanks for a great design.

Dennis aka Osprey
Old 03-22-2002, 09:16 AM
jar

That is really nice. I sure would be proud if ANY of mine turned out that good.
Old 03-22-2002, 10:00 AM
SIGGI

The link comes back a forbidden. Make sure that you have your album set to public.

Bob Sigmon

Looking forward to seeing the pic.

Looks like it must be me. Cause someone else has seen the pic.
Old 03-22-2002, 10:38 AM
blckbear

It's not just you Bob I get the same message.

Mike
Old 03-22-2002, 10:52 AM
SIGGI

Mike,
Glad to know it not just me. I hate Imagestation!

I just wrote off the money I paid them and went with fototime for $29. a year.

Bob Sigmon
Old 03-22-2002, 10:54 AM
Osprey Guy

I'm having some problems getting this posted right, plus they tell me that their "viewer" is temporarily down. I sent several photos to Coop to post for me later on tonight. Sorry.
When you do get to look at the knife please keep in mind that those inlays are completely cut by hand and it was my first time to ever do an inlay. I just received a catalog from masecraft. They'll cut any shape you want out of mother-of-pearl or abalone in addition to the shapes they keep on hand. Sure, now they tell me! (That's alright, it was a good experience).
Osprey
Old 03-22-2002, 10:58 AM
SIGGI

Osprey,

I'm looking forward to seeing your pics. Coop will take care of you. Thank for the tip Masecraft. Inlays are cool but not easy until you have some type of jig set up for a mill like Neil Charity (Now that's a setup).

Bob Sigmon
Old 03-22-2002, 08:17 PM
Coop747

Well, it was worth the wait! Dennis, you did a great job, and your knife is only exceeded by your ambition!! I like that ivory micarta, and it is just right for a pocket carry. Hope you continue your work!

Coop
Old 03-23-2002, 09:38 AM
SIGGI

Dennis,

Nice Job! More inspiration for us new guys..

It sure is cool to be able to finish out a knife the way you want and learn a whole bunch about the knife making/finishing process. It sure gives you a whole new respect for the custom makers that are out there doing great work every day.

Looking forward to you nest project.

Bob Sigmon
Old 03-23-2002, 03:33 PM
Osprey Guy

Thanks guys for all the support. I know I had some pretty ambitious ideas for a first knife (maybe a little too ambitious). I could use a whole lot more time on the basics. I'm not sorry for the way it turned out though. It's a little rough but in person it comes across to the average guy as a pretty cool little knife. I've shown it to some friends who were "amazed" (of course they also wouldn't know a good knife if they fell over it). It was a lot of fun. I intend on doing a much better job on the next, and the next, and so on.
Thanks again for all the help and support,
Dennis
PS. I can't take the credit for the Masecraft lead...Darrel's idea. I plan on using them for my next inlay attempt (could be soon, hmmm).

Tags
knife, knife making