MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 03-23-2002, 08:53 PM
CKDadmin

DDR-II by Rade Hawkins

Here's one from a pro! .... Rade Hawkins
SWEET

I'll let him tell you how it went... and what he used!

Thanks Rade!!!!

Alex
Old 03-23-2002, 09:29 PM
Darrel Ralph

Nice Job Rade!

Old 03-24-2002, 01:21 AM
Osprey Guy

Now that is a really "clean" knife. Super sharp! I hope I can do nearly as well when I decide to take the plunge and tackle a set of those handsome stag scales. From those (great) photos it looks like you managed to keep the bead blast on the bolster even though you did the cutout for the thumb. I'm starting another DDR-II and would like to keep that "vunderbar" finish as is. Your secret if you please...

Dennis
Old 03-24-2002, 09:18 AM
jar

I just wonder if Rade bought a kit or did he just womp one up in his spare time. Hey, Rade, ain't you supposed to be studying instead of playing???
Old 03-24-2002, 11:24 AM
CKDadmin

Are you kidding? I made Hawkins buy 20! That was payback for his refusal to buy my Boy Scout cookies when I was a kid! He said he wanted to sell them to the guys that came by his shop asking for information about how to make a locking liner folder, instead of doing a drawing each time.

Funny thing is, these kits have a way of saying "make me!" ... don't they Rade?

Whaaa ha ha ha!!!!!

Alex
Old 03-24-2002, 05:33 PM
Coop747

Boy that is one good lookin' piece of stag!

Nice, Rade.

Coop
Old 03-25-2002, 10:02 AM
Rade L Hawkins

Thanks guys. Alex is the one responsible for this knife, and I wanted to see just how much work would be envolved in putting one of these togeather. I have a lot of machinery and I work fast but it still took me about two hours to complete the project. Most of the time was spent getting the imastag to look like real stag and not messing up the nice bead blast finish. I had no problems with the exception of stripping the threads on one of the flat head screws(recommend the extra screw set). The operation and fit of the parts was excellent. As far as kits go----this one is excellent----Rade

Old 03-25-2002, 04:57 PM
Coop747

"imastag"? You're kidding me! What the dilly, yo?

Coop
Old 03-26-2002, 08:18 AM
jar

Took him Two Hours.

Rub it in Rade, rub it in.
Old 03-26-2002, 03:44 PM
Rade L Hawkins

Coop the imastag can be made to look good but it takes a very carfull amount of scorching with a torch. I sand the surface down close to the final thickness then take a propane torch and lighly burn the surface using a spraying type motion being careful not to get it to hot and warping it. I then sand the outer surface with a 400 grit belt and then polish with a white compound on a cotton buff. A lot of experenced makers have mistaken this for real stag. By the way the stag folder you did looked great---what do you do for a living if I am not being to noisy----------I also think you have some great looking knives---Regards Rade

Tags
knife, knives