MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 04-02-2002, 02:47 PM
Morgan Meader

working micarta (questions)

Hey all,

I'm wondering... I've never worked with micarta.

Is it similar to fiberglass or carbon fiber? Do you feel it's important to sand it wet? Will it overheat quickly? Can I expect to get the ivory scales to a nice glossy finish with patience and elbow grease? At what point is the sandpaper grit too fine to be effective?

Thanks,
Morgan
Old 04-02-2002, 09:59 PM
Coop747

Yes
No
No
Yes
Subjective opinion...

Just DO it!!!

Coop
Old 04-09-2002, 01:44 PM
Morgan Meader

How coarse of a grit do you use when doing general shaping of the handle?

I've been doing it with 220 and I'm wondering if I'm being too careful and could go coarser... I don't want to hit the bolster with anything that will scratch it badly but I do intend to polish it so it will get sanded...

Prost,
Morgan
Old 04-09-2002, 03:53 PM
Coop747

I'm not sure if you are referring to hand sanding or with a belt or rotary. If it's by hand, then, yes, I'd try a different coarser grit. A belt sander does it quick enough that I do my finish matching with a well-worn 240. But I start with 120 grit.

Try taping the bolsters with electrical tape so you can get real close. without deep scratches. Or scribe a line on the mating edge and just remove them.

I'm anxious to see your creation. Can you take some digital or scanned pics when it's done??

BTW--what does 'Prost' mean in your sig line?

Coop
Old 04-09-2002, 05:01 PM
Morgan Meader

Yes hand sanding for now. I bought a dremel and their router/shaping table. That I used with the finest drum sander bit in the box to take the edges of the scales down to the liner.

I used masking tape to cover the bolsters but my dremel cut through when I was getting the edges shaped down to the liners so I *decided* I wanted polished bolsters Ahhh this first one is a comedy of errors that are turning out really good... luckily...

I'm getting electrical tape on my way home per your suggestion although I will have to wait until the next kit to use it.

I'm looking into getting something digital soon so I will have pics to post. And maybe a shop( errrr... kitchen tabletop) tour

Re: Prost
I went on a trip to Austraila when I was younger. My backpack and I soon found ourselves shacking up with travelling girls from allll over Europe. It's amazing who you meet staying in youth hostels. Whew... that was fun... but I digress...

There was a very special German gal that had a big effect on me. Saying 'Prost' instead of 'cheers' is my little way of remembering her.

Don't tell my Irish girlfriend though

Prost,
Morgan

P.S. do you possibly have a link other than in the tutorials section re: filework or dremel work? Those lightning bolts are really impressive.

Tags
blade