MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:04 AM
Steel Addict

My First Knife

Gentlemen,

I have been reading the Knifenetwork Forum ever since barely surviving a Motorcycle wreck 5 months before 9-11, 13 years ago! The first I ever heard of knife making was a Blade Magazine article: "Making knifes from Junk" Wayne Goddard. I was in the bathroom of my Colorado girlfriend Carol and saw the magazine on the floor, picked it up and began reading. After I came back to Texas I made a 'file knife' for Carols son Brant whose magazine it was. That was in 1990, 10years later I was a disabled coma patient living alone on my farm and I was always out of beer!
Before my wreck which was not an accident, I owned Hamilton Roofing Inc. and we did houses and commercial roofs! I made a good living and I lived in my truck. But being disabled {I was reported dead by the police department that was called out the next morning after me laying in the ditch all night, no breath, no pulse, DEAD! That's pretty disabled. The guy who's front yard I had laid in all night, heard the ambulance driver tell the cop "I don't know who taught you to tell a dead man from a live one, but this guys not dead, he will be before we can get him to Baylor Hospital in this traffic, call the helicopter!"
I met the Mexican cop a few years later and he just stood there and stared.
"That was the deadest man I ever saw!" he said.
"That motorcycle helmet looked like a truck had run over it, a great big one!"

So I live on disability and stay home all the time to save on gas. I have made a profit selling Rail Road Spike Knives but they are even more valuable as gifts to Doctors as Doctors haven't ever seen anything like that. It really gets me in good with one of my Doctors to give him a 'spiker.' But as for knives... not junk... but knives made from brand new store bought steel, I have been working on new steel for years and have never finished a knife, TILL NOW!
I could profile and drill a blade blank. I could sand one and put handles on it. But I have never been able to bevel a knife blade and I found out why!
It was 'Masterbladesmith Dan' who taught me to use new steel and sandpaper or a file so as not to ruin the blade with a machine.
A new friend 'Masterbladesmith Stan' {no relation} taught me to bevel a knife blade.
I was trying to bevel a knife blade after it was hardened and tempered! I thought that that was the way to do it but Stan said that a blade must be beveled before hardening! Then after hardening, tempering in peanut oil rather than the used motor oil I was using.

And I had a scribe, but I could never see the scribe lines till I made an monumental discoverey 'Blue layout Dye'.
With the steel beveled while annealed plus the Blue layout Dye and scribe I finished a knife. It had a bad file mark by the plunge cut but I know where to be careful now and have 5 more blade blanks cut out, painted with the dye and scribed ready to be profiled, beveled and drilled, handled and shined up.
The only thing missing is a camera as my 35mm wore out 10 years ago and a digital camera is in the makings. {I've an old friend who has a camera}

So how about that!
The blue dye is impossible to rub off and the scribe lines are able to be seen quite clearly all the way through beveling.
Much better than the old felt tip pen!

I'll get a camera and share a picture of the work I have done the last 13 years.
All the junk knives, nailed to a piece of plywood on the wall in the barn {Knife shop}
the spikers, and now... the skinners.
Thanks to the Knifenetwork Forum folks and especially Ray.

Jack the Knife

Last edited by Jacktheknife; 06-17-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:15 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I'm glad to hear its all starting to come together for you Jack. Looking forward to seeing that first finished knife ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-08-2014, 12:44 AM
Steel Addict

'Thank you'

Jack...
Old 06-09-2014, 08:02 AM
Steel Addict

Gentlemen,

Yesterday I started profiling a skinner right down to the scribe mark then took a break. I realized that I needed to finish profiling with a file so as not to booger up the blade with the machine.
Today I hope to continue profiling then beveling, mostly with the file and especially near the plunge cut. I even bought a bunch of new files. 2 different big files and a package of 'needle files'. The first brand new files I have ever had.
My files were 'found files' [ie. 'trash'] most of them 50 years old when I started accumulating them. A rainy day here and cool for June 9th. I'll see if I can get this skinner ready today to heat treat.

It took two hours and fifteen minutes yesterday to almost finish the profiling. I'll time myself today too and I'm trying to see how long it takes to make a knife.

A knife a day for me, would be something to shoot at.

I just came in from completely profiling skinner #2, total time...
3.5 hours. And files may not booger up ones work but they are real slow!
I have learned that it is faster to just be real careful on the Grizz. I'm off to bevel,
wish me luck.

Bedtime and I have beveled one side of a blade and it looks real good. You can clearly see the line between the bevel and the flat. he other side doesn't look good however. The old school desk I work at isn't right. I think I need a work bench.

What do y'all work at? Standing at a bench or sitting somehow?
Good night.

Jack the Knife

Last edited by Jacktheknife; 06-11-2014 at 01:23 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:31 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to combs6136
work bench?

I sit down to do layout and detail work and stand to grind all my blades.....At 76, I sit as much as I can.................carl

Tags
auto, back, bee, bevel, blade, blade blank, blanks, brand, digital, drill, file, file knife, home, knife, knife making, knives, made, making, man, profile, rail road spike, sand, steel, store, supply