MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 08-08-2003, 07:59 PM
Enthusiast

more on carbon fiber......

I had a scary discussion with a "materials engineer" who works with carbon fiber in a lab. He advised against working with it unless it can be worked under water. I'll keep asking....more later !
Old 08-08-2003, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Yes, it produces airborn particals that you should not breath. However, if you use proper protection, you should be fine. Pretty much all materials that knifemaker's use have danger associated with breathing them, so you should be careful when working with them.

With carbon fiber, however, the material is so cool, and useful in the application that precaution disadvantages are far surpassed by end product perfomance. We see a lot of companies who offer g-10 as their top model choice, for instance, but this is mostly because they are too cheap to offer the best products for the end result, focusing mainly on their bottom line.

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 08-09-2003, 07:57 PM
Enthusiast

carbon fiber

problem isn't just breathing.....it's contact with mucous membrane anywhere. God forbid that OSHA would ever get wind of what is being sold and worked in knife shops. We'd all be wearing baggies with arm and leg holes, breathing through a hose attached to a 4 foot cube filter !!!
Old 08-09-2003, 09:11 PM

Tim,
I think malachite has cyanide, Mother of pearl ... the real stuff not the plastic stuff and other natural material put off vapor that is much worse than carbon fiber.
G10 is fiber glass? That is just as bad.
Micarda raises you heart rate and is bad to breath to boot.
Like Alex said EVERYTHING a knife maker, or anyone that uses these types material should always take safety measures.
Titanium vapor, steel vapor everything is bad. Forging steel is really bad for you .

I think we all know the score.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Whatever you do, don't use a cutting torch on galvanized metal without a respirator, either. I did that once and will never forget the feeling that I was about to die from the poision I breathed. It didn't hit right away ... it was a couple of hours after when I noticed the hearse driving around my house waiting on a customer ...

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 08-10-2003, 06:21 AM
Enthusiast

more on shop safety.....

really scary part is the number of makers who I have visited(in their shops) who do not wear any type of mask/respirator, etc. Cadmium/lead in solder is toxic; polishing compound has caused many cases of silicosis. Who knows what breathing Squeak wood from Australia can do to your system....bottom line is we HAVE to be more safety conscious in ALL of our shops.....easy to say.....I'm nursing a bad cut on my typing finger....didn't wear a glove when it should have been mandatory.....but I was rushed ! WHEW! Grind/pound safe you guys !

Tags
forge, forging, knife