MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:33 PM

Looking for etching advice

Ok, I have about 12 knives on the shelf that are ready to sell but I need to etch a logo on them. Anyone know of a good etching system that I won't have to sell one of my kids to afford? Maybe someone selling one moving up to a better one.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:27 AM
Hall of Famer

Check USA Knife Makers Supply. I believe that they have an economy etcher.

Doug

Old 06-15-2016, 08:49 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

The Etch-O-Matic is very popular with knife makers and sells for under $100. Check eBay and you might get one for less.

Also, don't overlook the possibility of building your own. Asimple one can be made from a 12VAC wall wart and a diode ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-15-2016, 02:52 PM

Exclamation

Thanks. Yeah sounds good. I have played around with the ideas they give on YouTube to etch but I guess the part I really need is the stencil so I don't have to draw my mark each time and also give my blades a certain consistency. I know some guys like the hand made look when they are not exactly the same, but I think I prefer the logo to look the same at least. I looked up the etch o matic and the etching tool is within the budget but the stencil making part drIves the price up a bit. They are a bit unclear about how many times you can use the stencil and if they also offer to make a stencil for you.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:16 PM

Contact Ernie to have your stencils made:

http://erniesknives.com/blue_lighnin...rice_list.html

Old 06-15-2016, 05:06 PM
Guru

i happend to find a old power supply from my dads work but it does the same thing as a etch o matic.....as far as stencils as ray said contact earnie i delt with him for mine with everything else i was trying to do didnt have the time to play around with stencil material to...earnies great tho awesome service he even helped me design my logo a bit...and i cant complain they work great and last
Old 06-15-2016, 08:15 PM
Skilled

Here's a recent thread:
http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=66393

I went to Radio Shack and found a 12v DC output charging transformer. Cut the wires, add alligator clips and you're done. Less than $20. It works. If you can find some old transformer, phone charger, A/C adapter for some low voltage device, you can use it. If it is DC output, it will etch. If it is AC output, it will mark. To get the AC output to etch requires the diode....

....I think.

I'm using Ernie's stencils (Ray's Link Above) with a 12v DC output transformer. 12 volts is a little too high IMO and will degrade the stencils. So 9v would be better. I use the 12v in short bursts. For instance, applying for 2 seconds, 5 times for 10 seconds total doesn't seem to affect the stencils. 5 seconds, 2 times is the same amount of etch time but those 5 seconds at 12 volts seem to degrade the stencils quickly, only allowing a couple of uses per stencil. Lower voltage/shorter contact times will allow as many as 8 or more uses per stencil. You get a good number of stencils per an order, depending on your logo size.

Anyway, a simple DC output transformer, or AC output with diode is about the cheapest etching machine outside of a battery and some wires.
http://dcknives.blogspot.ca/2015/01/...kers-mark.html

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 06-15-2016, 09:15 PM

You need the AC component. Without the AC the dark mark is much easier to rub off since it just sits on the surface of the steel ...

Old 06-16-2016, 09:21 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
You need the AC component. Without the AC the dark mark is much easier to rub off since it just sits on the surface of the steel ...
Yes, DC will etch into the metal. What I've found is there is a + and - lead. With DC output, hook the leads one way and you get a dark mark...that will rub right off. Reverse those leads and you get an etch into the metal...but no dark. It is my understanding you can mark a knife with AC alone but not etch it. Or you can etch with DC current, then switch to AC and mark the etch.

Using an AC output and a diode allows you to etch, by employing the diode, and then mark, by bypassing the diode.
I have not however, tried that nor acquired an AC device to just mark or blacken an etch. I've been mostly content with the etch alone, though do plan to at some point employ an AC device to check out marking.

It's somewhat confusing.

Am I correct that the etch-o-matic allows to flip a switch for marking and/or etching?

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 06-16-2016, 09:37 AM

No, the Etch-O-Matic uses a diode that is built into an alligator clip. You clip the diode clip into the alligator clip that is attached to the etcher and that gives you DC. After that, you remove the diode clip and use the other clip by itself to get AC, no switch involved ...

Old 06-17-2016, 09:57 AM

I'll build you one like mine for $75

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."

Tags
advice, awesome, blades, build, building, design, etch, etching, hand, hand made, knife, knives, made, make, makers, making, material, play, sell, simple, steel, stencil, supply, surface, usa