MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:31 AM

Bushcraft blade / blank maker

Sorry if this has been addressed in a separate post but wasn't seeing anything. I'm looking for someone interested in making / selling bushcraft blades with specs matching a woodlore or jacklore knife. Not sure if this is referred to as a blade or a blank but essentially it would only need the flats sanded and polished, a handle and sharpening.

The steelwork side of knife making is still a bit out of reach for me but I love doing the handle-work, mosaic pins and sheath making. Unfortunately I've only been able to find blanks (with no makers marks) in the U.K.

I'm still new to this craft so I figured I would reach out to the experts.

DS
Old 07-04-2017, 11:11 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

If I understand correctly, you want finished blades with no handle attached so that you can do the handle yourself. If that is the case, you should be able to find someone who can make the blades for you if you are patient but I wouldn't expect anyone would want to put their maker's mark on it. Having your name appear on a finished product over which you have no control can lead to too many problems ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-04-2017, 11:31 AM
Guru

There are a few of us here that MIGHT be intererested....You might have better luck if you describe the knife blank a little better or even better put up a picture of a similar knife. I recently was approached by a local guy that wanted a kitchen knife but he wants to finish the handle....same as you. Even tho I may do it for him as ray said I would not put my makers mark on it. I wouldn't put my mark on anything that was not finished because you have no idea how the customers skill is and I wouldn't put my mark on it just to have him mes up the handle and then say another person see's that knife with my mark and a horrible handle...it could be mistaked that I made the handle to wich could then hurt my reputation a bit...... put up some pics of something similar to what you want ....someone may bite
Old 07-04-2017, 01:57 PM

Thank you for the quick replies.

I think you may have misunderstood, I would never ask for a blade with someone else's mark. I seem to recall coming across some with branding on them which I did not want. "Branding" is probably the word I should have used to begin with as they were more commercially available.

A blade similar to what I'm working with in the link below is what I'm looking for (will post an image later if there are issues with the Vimeo link).

https://vimeo.com/135822477
Old 07-04-2017, 07:34 PM
Guru

Looking at the Vimeo it appears you want something like a scandi design like the Norwegian Laminated blades? You are in the UK? You should be able to search and find Morakniv blades and many other blades from Scandinavian countries like Sweden, Helle knives, Lauren Mettalli, Swedish Karesuando blades and Helle Norwegian laminated knives ( some of the best for edge holding and toughness) also Finnish made Roselli blades and if that fails here is a link to an American company who specializes in the Scandi type woodcraft blades.

https://www.ragweedforge.com/BladeCa...tml#nor-blades

He has a huge variety of blades only and most without any maker's mark if that is what you want. He also carries a lot of the fittings for the knives and even plastic inserts for wrapping the leather around and can be used as a template for a wooden sheath which is traditional in Finland and especially Lapland.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:43 PM

I'm actually in NW Indiana but I've been buying all my blades from the UK. While I've been very happy with the blades, I was hoping to find someone here in the states to purchase blades from. I've tried a few kit knife blades from different online vendors but for me the style / quality always fell a little short.

These are full tang - scandi grinds made from 01 high carbon tool steel - 4 mm thick. They are very clean and simple which is what I find so appealing. Including a few photos as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snakewood.jpg (48.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg amboyna.jpg (84.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg blackwood.jpg (47.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg ironwood.jpg (54.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-04-2017, 09:10 PM
Guru

Well then give Ragnar's blades a good look see. The Swedish stainless is second to none and they have some laminated stainless as well as carbon laminated. I made a Norwegian laminated blade for a client and he was impressed about how he skinned a whole deer without having to sharpen it once and that for a knife only 3mm thick. The scandi blades are considered by their fans to be the best woodcrafting knives around.

I may differ some on that, but not too far off. For a woodcrafting knife I will use a convex grind as it will hold up to batoning very well, though if you want to chop wood a small hatchet would serve you better. I wouldn't knock a hidden tang knife though considering that Katanas are all hidden tangs and some of the blades in Ragnar's catalogue are full tang if that is what you want. I have kind of drifted away from full tangs, just easier and why cut a nice piece of wood in half? lol

Old 07-04-2017, 11:29 PM

Thanks jimmontg

Those are beautiful blades and I love the price range (I'm currently paying a LOT more than that). Even so, it looks like all have branding on them and I'm looking for something with no branding on the blade. Maybe that's just how most of them are sold.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:08 AM
Guru

No Herchmer, most are unmarked. Read Ragnar's comments about each type and you can certainly call or email him. My Norwegian blade was most certainly not marked. Please note that some blades are over 4 mm thick. The only time I make a knife thicker than about 5/32 is a BIG one.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139620...7671162338314/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139620...7671162338314/

There is one, a laminated and blued knife I made last year to go with a Danish fighting axe I forged.

I have at present a big Black Diamond Nicholson file that I could make into the scandi style if you want something that costs more. It is 3/16" thick. As I have just moved my heat treating resources are constrained at the moment, but it is tempered and just needs to be ground. It will have a convex grind on it and full tang.

Last edited by jimmontg; 07-05-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:27 AM
Guru

Herchmer.....check your private message's I have a friend that might be up to the job but I need more info before I ask him.

Tags
bee, blade, blades, blanks, bushcraft, case, handle, kitchen, kitchen knife, knife, knife blank, knife making, knives, made, make, maker's mark, makers, making, mosaic, pins, post, sharpening, sheath, sheath making