MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 08-07-2005, 10:03 AM
Skilled

Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down : Stage #4

O.K., my fellow Randall knife freaks,
It's Sunday mornin', and we are coming down to the final stage (#4) in our Randall "Camper" knife. The decisions thus far, have been fairly clear....that is: up until stage#3. I have tallied the results and found that we have a bit of a blockade! The "results" are not quite as clear from stage #3. Let's review:
There were 2 votes for stag. There were 4 votes for antique gold micarta. There were 4 votes for green canvas micarta. No clear winner. I am going to proceed as follows: I am going to declare that the "winner" for handle material is "micarta" (color to be determined in this final stage #4). The handle "shaping" will either be a "border patrol" or #22 style, depending upon your selection of "hardware". Let me explain.
If you folks will look on page #26 of the Randall catalog, you will observe the different handle shapes available. (the "teardrop" shape that DW referred to is "not" shown ). A Model #22 handle lends itself to a "crow's beak" butt cap. A "border patrol" shape is slightly different, and will result in a butt cap not unlike a "crow's beak", but not exactly the same. The butt cap has a little more "shoulder" and is not quite as flowing. A great design, to be sure, but different none-the-less. You folks are going to decide all of this in stage #4. If you don't want a butt cap, all of this is moot. If you "do"..Ya' got some work left!!
"Hardware": Hilts, Spacers, Collars, Butt caps, Butt plates, Compass, Wrist thong,Thumb notches, etc. It's all up to you. I would suggest that, as "Moosehead" referred to in stage #3, if you go with a "crow's beak" butt cap, do not choose brass as your material. On a longer knife brass may very well be the metal of chioce. On a 5" blade, made out of 1/4" stock, it is just too "butt heavy". Perhaps the folks whose ideas on handle material and shapes were out-voted, can break the tie in this, the final stage in this camp knife's design.We'll see!
Finally: SHEATH! Tan or black is available, with or without a hone pocket. Good luck!! Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 08-07-2005, 10:24 AM
Steel Addict

Green canvas micarta, standard border patrol shape. Brown sheath, waxed to protect from the elements, and a camper/user needs a hone pocket.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:38 AM
Skilled

Byrdguy,
10-4, but does it "need" anything else? We already know this Randall is going to be stainless, but what about thumb notches? Wrist thong? Butt cap? Butt plate? Spacers? Hilt metal? Good start, but we "all" need to decide on this "entire Finished product" in this stage #4 thread. (or are ya' just messin' with us and gonna post up more, later?). Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 08-07-2005, 10:49 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
Before I cast my vote, perhaps I can get a clearer explanation of this "teardrop" shape. Would that be a big butt but a skinny fore-end? Or the other way around? Or...?

-gary

- Ronald Reagan
Old 08-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Skilled

Dog,
The "teardrop-shaped" handle is very thin at the "hilt". Looking at the knife straight down, from the butt end, the handle is "almond-shaped", i.e. larger "top-to-bottom", but not very large in circumferance. This shape, while very cool, did not make the "short list" for our Randall camp knife, however. Your choice is between a Model #22 styled handle, and a "Border Patrol" style handle, only. Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 08-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Steel Addict

Here's an example of a tear drop handle. By golly, danged if I don't think this would be better. Also, I think a wrist thong and thumb nothces would serve a good purpose too. I also like the NS hilt. just a personal preference as the brass tarnishes worse.

Last edited by Byrdguy; 07-17-2007 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:48 AM
Skilled

Byrdguy,
Gee....That Randall looks very very familiar. I know who and where ya' got that way "cool" model #7-5", with a #6 grind! I ordered it for the dude!! You are right about the teardrop handle being great, but great on what? Remember: That's a very thin beveled, 3/16" Randall you are trying to equate to a much heavier, stronger, and thicker model we are making for camping purposes. Now....perhaps in a "later" buiding project (hint, hint), we will be "building" a "fishing" model, or a "utility helper", or...God knows what else I and ya'll dream up.
I think it is safe to assume that, with the popularity of these type of threads, this will probably not be the last Randall to undergo construction. Best, Captain Chris Stanaback
P.S. Besides: If I tried to "bow out" of these projects now, I believe there would be a few folks dissapointed. CCS

Old 08-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Steel Addict

Ok, I'm going to try:

Green canvas micarta, border patrol grip, single n/s hilt (squared off), Crow's beak butt cap, thumb notches and definitely need a hone pocket.

Doesn't matter to me: wrist thong, leather color or spacer type.

-gary

- Ronald Reagan
Old 08-07-2005, 12:49 PM
Skilled

Gary,
Gotcha! Remember that a border patrol will have a butt cap "similar" to a "crow's beak", but slightly different. All good choices: hmmmm..I wonder what the rest of em' are going to come up with? Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 08-07-2005, 01:24 PM
Steel Addict

Yeah, Cap that is one sweet handling knife. Looks cool too. Apoligies for jumping on board here late. I haven't read all the previous threads about the blade shape and size, etc. Is the green linen mic an option? it sure looks great on my new 16.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Skilled

Good question there, Byrdguy,
Green "linen" is "ONLY" available on the slotted full-tang models, i.e. Models #14,15, and 16, as well as the "Fireman". Green "canvas" is available in block form, without the slot, therefore can be ordered on the "cut-down" tang models, of which the "combat companion" is one. You can supply your own green linen, in block form, and get this combat companion made. Handle specifications, if customer-supplied, for a 1/4" stock knife, with a blade length of 7" or "less" is as follows: 1 1/8" X 1 1/4" X 4 3/4".
For all practical purposes, and certainly for this "Randall Happy Camper" that we are building, we are only using (limiting ourselves, if you will) Randall "shop-supplied" handle materials, as well as all other hardware.
Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 08-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Steel Addict

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The "Captain"
Gotcha! Remember that a border patrol will have a butt cap "similar" to a "crow's beak", but slightly different.
Well, actually, I did remember that from where you had said it before. The reason that I said it the way that I did was because I wasn't sure that I could get a squared-off hilt with a #22 configuration. The hilt looked a little different in the catalog in that configuration. Since I don't own a #22, I didn't have one in hand to check it out. Am I working under a wrong assumption? To cut through my babble-speak, are the hilts different on a #22 and a standard single hilt?

Durn, I'm learning a ton here! The info like the linen vs canvas micarta stuff above is invaluable.

-gary

- Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Raindog; 08-07-2005 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:27 PM
Skilled

Gary,
In the old days (God: I'm starting to sound like "Seuss") "all" single hilts were squared-top. Actually, not in the "real" old days, but up until the last 10 years, or so, and ever since the Korean/ Vietnam days they were standard. The more rounded hilts are a product of the last 20 years. More and more these hilts were made up as standard at the Randall shop, despite older photos in the catalogs which still showed the squared-off tops.
The original Model #22's were no exception to this rule. What used to be normal and made up squared is now made up standard in the newer "rounded" top. This more rounded and newer hilt is lighter and preferred by many. Notice I said "many" and not "all"!
The good news is that either hilt shape can "still" be ordered. Instead of just requested a brass single hilt (code: BH1), you simply request your brass hilt squared (code: BH1/SQH)!! It's that simple. Nickel-silver: Same deal NS1 becomes NS1/SQH, etc.
This "Happy Camper" that we are making up can be ordered either way, whatever you folks prefer and decide upon. Hope this clears it up for you, as well as others. That's the idea!! Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 08-07-2005, 02:35 PM
Enthusiast

I'll go with what I know works for a few of the options:
-Thumb notches
-NS single hilt, not square
-#22-style with duraluminum crow's beak, drilled for a wrist thong

Not sure about spacers - red and aluminum? I'll defer to those with taste on this.

I stand by my pick of Antique Gold, but after seeing some photos it is for a different reason. I don't think it really looks that good, but you would never lose the knife if you set it down.

I second Byrdguy's sheath selection.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:23 PM

My .02..maroon micarta..very classy looking and if rumours turn into fact could become more valuable..stainless and red spacers..n/s.

Sunday mornin coming down..Captain, you put on your cleanest dirty shirt?

Last edited by Wideglide; 08-07-2005 at 03:26 PM.

Tags
blade, knife, knives