MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:58 AM
Enthusiast

Stohlman "fray the ends"

Stohlman's book on stitching recommends fraying the ends of the thread. Is that just to create an easier taper to thread the needle or does that serve another purpose?

He also repeatedly states "do not put the awl down" but never explains why. Is that just to avoid pricking yourself with the needles or twisting the thread?

Thanks
Old 02-15-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deloid
Is that just to create an easier taper to thread the needle?
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by deloid
He also repeatedly states "do not put the awl down" but never explains why.
Every time you put the needle or the awl down results in extra motion. That takes time. Long before the time and motion studies of the modern industrial era, the guilds had learned in order to be profitable, the leatherworker had to be very efficient, i.e., no wasted effort. That meant holding the needle and the awl and manipulating same in the hand. The book shows how to manipulate the awl haft and the needle. It just takes practice.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

The taper not only aids in threading the needle, but also creates less bulk at the eye.

As for putting the awl down - practice may or may not help - some folks just never get the hang of it and are still successful at successful at sewing (just ask Sandy M!).
Due to a neck injury many years ago and arthritis in my hands, for many years I have been able to use the traditional method. I adapted by pre-punching and then sewing afterwards - speed wise I never was even with the traditional method a super fast sewer and I have found using my adapted method that I am just as fast or maybe even slightly faster. The last full lined belt I did had about six hundred stitches and I sewed it up in about an hour and half including pre-punching the holes.

FWIW - Here's how I sew.......http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/tut...herstitch.html

traditional methods are nice and have the advantage of being time tested, but IMO use what works for you when and if need be........

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.