MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 03-26-2006, 09:41 AM
Skilled

Domed Pins

Can someone tell me how to make Domed Pins ?
Photos wpould be Great.
Thanks
Ron
Old 03-26-2006, 11:13 AM
Steel Addict

what bout one of those wire rounding burrs that jewelers use...

kinda like this one
http://www.jewelrysupply.com/index.p...oducts_id=2033

or those cup burrs?

hopefully others will chime in

Greg
Old 03-26-2006, 11:45 AM
Living Legend

I made a punch to dome pins out of a piece of 1/2" 01 drill rod. On the metal lathe I made a small concave divot with a 1/8" ball mill on the end of the rod. Then I tapered the last 2" down to the divot. It domes pins and is an eyeball punch also.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:28 PM
Master

if with your design you can dome them before installing them just chuck roundstock in a drill and turn it against a sander then buffer.

i tried those cup burrs back when i made body jewelry but i wasnt fond of them. they wore out really quick and didnt leave a very round tip...plus they clogged like mad. if you only had to do a few domes it might work but i wouldnt plan on a burr lasting more than a few. the type i used was made for rotary tools...not a handheld one, that might work better.

Last edited by AUBE; 03-26-2006 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Dragon cutlery
i used to leave a bit standing up and buff the hell out of them and thay looked domed if i did it enough got to change angles as you go

giving you your sharp and pointy fix since 1995
Old 03-26-2006, 08:07 PM
Skilled

I've done it a few times like Aube said, before I started peining everything...

Cut the pin the length you want plus the thickness of the pin, for 1/8 stock make it 1/8 longer. Rough up the sides of the pin with 60 or 80 grit paper (for traction with the epoxy), then chuck it in the drill {a drill press is fine but a hand drill is actually easier). Start with a file to get the rough shape on the end, then take it down through a few grades of sandpaper before finishing with buffing compound or an abrasive paste. Slide it in for a test fit, then epoxy into place... excess epoxy can be removed easily after it gets tacky with a softwood chisel (think popcicle stick with an edge).

A hand tool would probably be easier to control for doming pins after they are set, I use a wooden tool to polish the ends of peined pins, after the hammer has shaped them.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:51 AM
Steel Addict

According to a book I have by Blackie Collins, the factories use a head spinner to dome the pins, similar to ones sold by Koval Knives or Texas Knifemaker's Supply. I can't seem to link directly to the right page, but if you follow this link and scroll down to "headspinner" you'll find it; Texas Knifemaker's Supply

If I understand correctly, the tool has a little concave recess in its face with notches to cut the excess pin material. You spin it in a drill press with the recess over the end of the pin. The tool domes the end of the pin and cuts off the excess.

Here are picture of the tool from the two stores listed above;

Both companies list the same description; "Will spin round heads on 1/16?, 3/32?, and 1/8? pinstock."

Old 03-27-2006, 07:22 AM
Hall of Famer

The headspinner tools dome the head and roll over the edges to make a larger head. These are used on slipjoint knives especially, since the handle scales on a slipjoint aren't usually glued on.

Take a close look at any old slipjoint pocket knife to see what I mean.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Skilled

re: domed pins

Thanks Guys
Maybe Im thinking worng but back in the day how do you think "the man" did the pins on this Ol knife ?

I was thinking the heads were like a mushrooms on the end holding the slabs on?

I have another ? You see that silver that wraps around the but of the handle?How do you think JB attached it to the full tang brazed on maybe ??
Ron
Old 03-30-2006, 05:14 PM
Skilled

if the pins are soft metal, it takes very little effort to make them domed with beading tools. a cupped spot on a piece of steel and a beading tool the same size will domes both sides of a pin at the same time. this process has been used for centuries,without the advent of electricity we would all being doing it today. most jewelry suppliers sell them,also easy to make from drill rod.

www.contenti.com

Tags
blade, folding knife, knife, knives