MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:41 AM
Guru

drilling pin hole in hidden tang?

Hey guys so ya know how with a hidden tang you drill out the cavity that the tang goes into the drill a hole through the wood with the tang inside so it hits the tang just enough to mark it and then take it out and drill the hole through the mark, is there any way of doing it backwards with any decent accuracy? like say you already have the hole in the tang but not the wood. the only way I can think of is to lay the tang on the outside of the wood in the position it would be in side and mark it and drill, but I don't think that is the most accurate way of doing it. I am wondering if anyone else has come up with another way of doing it ??
Old 11-27-2016, 11:46 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

You could do it that way or you could just drill another hole in the tang...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 11-27-2016, 12:28 PM
Skilled

epoxy the handle on, then drill your hole through where you want it.

place the blade on something level, and a support under the handle.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:06 PM
Guru

yeh what happened is this is a knife I put to the aside a while back friend saw the blade that was done and like it howvever the tang has 2 holes already a small one I used to hang the blade in LN then a hole from the original handle block that I didn't like anyway so now he wants me to put a handle on it tang is already a lil on the small side and I don't want to put another hole too close to the ones that are already there and its hard to put a new hole percsicly without worring about it being to close to the other ones , ill give it one shot if not make a new blade for him
Old 11-27-2016, 02:31 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to TJ Smith
This works for me.
Put the blade in a drill vice,laying flat. Set the drill up to run a drill through the hole in the tang. Clamp everything down and put the handle on loose but clamped in place. If you haven't moved the knife clamp everything down and drill through the handle and the tang. Done.
Take care
TJ Smith

Old 11-27-2016, 02:45 PM
Skilled

still overthinking it.

mark on handle where holes are already.... move over a bit and thatll be where the pin will go.
all the other holes will be filled in when the blade epoxied in.

make sure you use the right carbide bit.... not masonry. it sounds like tht tang will be as hard as the rest of the blade.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:04 PM
Guru

THanks guys...I actually just went and did it again. the original pin hole was 3/16th and I think the hole for the wire to hold in the LN was about 5/32, I was worried about if I did it again having that drill drop down right next to the other one I worked out traced the shape of the tang on the out side like I always do and did pretty much what you just said damon marked the holes and drilled a new one, it will work the pin will be a lil more forward than I usually do but it will work. I think I got a lil lucky too tho. I was worried about having the tang crack at some point if I kept making holes to close to each other but I think its spread out enough
Old 11-27-2016, 03:23 PM
Skilled

the handle and epoxy will support the tang once assembled.
I use 3/32", or 1/8" pins, so even if your 3/16" pin hold broke through a little into another hole, and thus ended up with a 1/16" gap..... that still plenty of material to keep a blade locked into the handle through whatever it needs to do.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:30 PM
Skilled

for hiden tangs I don't predrill holed. I drill after assembled.

full tang.... predrill holes in tang, and then drill handle slabs before gluing and pinning down.
when drilling holes in full tang to remove material/weight from the handle... I leave about 1/8"-3/16" gap around edge and pin holes.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:31 PM
Guru

ok damon thanks that is what I was worried about
Old 11-27-2016, 06:30 PM
Guru

Having worked in precision metal fields I can hit a predrilled hole in a hidden tang no problem really. I sometimes make kit knives that have a hole already in them. I have some calipers that measures in the .001 range and just measure where the hole is relative to the back of the ricasso where the guard will fit and mark my handle from there with a precision 6" square. If I'm off a few thousandths I just file the hole with a dremel diamond point until the pin barely fits and will shove the handle up against the guard. If I'm not putting a threaded pommel on I always do that whether it is a kit knife or not and will drill an additional hole for another pin just as a backup. Most of my knives I make I've decided to make them hidden tangs. I fit the guards and handles before HT as I won't be grinding the tang at all.

I am making a bunch of filet knives from CPM S30V and they will all be hidden tangs with a double pinned on piece of brass all-thread for the pommels. I cut a slot in the 1/4-20 all-thread and put two 1/8 pins through them. I fit it all up before HT. So when I get them back they just go together easily and no drilling that hard as heck metal. I hate sharpening carbide drill bits by hand, takes me two hours and these new super steels wear them out.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:54 PM
Skilled

Dtech, I was taught a little "down and dirty, quick and easy" technique that's so simple it hurt my head; you will need a vertical vise or holding set up of some type. Secure the blade in the vice w leather and wood jaws so the handle will fit onto the tang without interference. You may need to stack a support on the opposite side, near the pommel of the handle. Line up your drill bit with the hole in the tang, and secure the vice and knife so it doesn't move on the drill press table. Once you're happy with the alignment, slip the handle material onto the tang, making sure it's seated correctly and then drill the hole straight through both sides of the handle material, going slow enough to prevent a blow out on the back side.

I bought a 90 degree tilting drill press vice from ebay, and use t-bolts on the table to secure the vice.

https://www.jabetc.com/products/tilt...ant=8702307205

After seeing this done, my head darn near exploded! Easy-peesy-lemon-squezy...worked wonderfully!

"We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends." Shel Silverstein

Last edited by ATalley; 12-01-2016 at 08:57 PM.

Tags
back, blade, block, brass, drill, edge, epoxy, fixed blade, flat, handle, hidden, hidden tang, kit, knife, knives, make, making, material, pinning, pins, small, tang, wood