MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:40 PM
Registered

Getting belt loop smoother ?

I can?t seem to get the belt loop portion of my sheath smoothed up. My loop is an integral part of the sheath and when I fold it over to form the loop the rough side is out. Any hints, opinions or words of advice on how I can get this area to look a little nicer?

BTW I am astounded and amazed every time I log on. You guys are artists, an inspiration to those of us trying to improve. My wife thinks I have lost my mind, I used to never get on the internet and now I check this fourm three or four times a day to see what has been posted.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:50 PM
Skilled

Rodney: Assuming you are not going to line the sheath, there are a couple of things you can try. First be as selective as possible when picking your leather for tight, smooth fiber on the flesh (back) side of the leather. You can use Feibing's TanKote to seal and give the flesh side a more finished look. This really dresses up the looks of good leather but if you've got the fuzzy stuff you are pretty well without much choice. Leather selection and TanKote will go a long way toward solving your problem,

Paul

Paul Long-- 108 Briarwood Ln. W.-- Kerrville, Texas 78028-- Ph. 830 367 5536--- pfl@cebridge.net
Old 07-23-2007, 06:04 AM
Steel Addict

If you lined the loop on the outside it would then be as smooth as the rest of the sheath.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:23 AM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
In some sheaths you might be able to turn the extension for the belt loop into the interior of the sheath instead of the exterior. This would give you the top grain only showing. Either that or you can make a separate belt loop and then attach to the outside.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:01 AM
Skilled

Rodney; My first response was based on assumptions that: You are a more causual maker as opposed a semi pro and as such do not have various weights of leather on hand; That you were making a pouch type sheath with integral loop.

My good friend, Sandy gave you some really good advise if you are making a blade type sheath and can roll the loop in reverse, and the seperate loop is always a great solution. Just remember to sew the loop on before you fold it up and glue for final stitching. (This piece of advise come to you because I have learned it the hard way)

Mike's advise is good also, but it would cause you to have addititonal lighter weight leather on hand.

I try to answer questions based on what I "guess" the maker's inventory and equipment status is and sometimes I assume less than is the case.

Paul

Paul Long-- 108 Briarwood Ln. W.-- Kerrville, Texas 78028-- Ph. 830 367 5536--- pfl@cebridge.net
Old 07-23-2007, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

All of the above, or.........
To put a smoothsmooth finish on the back/flesh side of any veg tan...While this method will never be as "smooth" as the face side of the leather, it can give (depending on the tightness of the leather) a nice finish with a difference - just another tool in one's "arsenal"

You will need dye (if you plan on dying), Gum Tragacanth, Fiebing Leather Balm with Atom Wax, your favorite finish (I like Fiebing Bag Kote, but for the inside/back side, one of the acrylic finishes such as Resolene or Super Shene will work good without being too glossy), and a good bone or antler burnisher.
1) Dye if so planned, when about half to three quarters dry, dry burnish first with a clean coarse cloth (old jeans or canvas) - rub in all directions at first, but watch and see if the "nap" raises - if it does raisem rub only in the direction to press it down.
2) Once completely dry - rub off any remaining dye powder residue and then apply a good coat of Gum Trag. Burnish again - this time using first the cloth and then use an antler or bone burnisher. Add a second coat, let dry and burnish.
3) Repeat step two only use the Leather Balm.
4) Finally add a coat of finish.....
Hope this helps........

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Morrissey
you can make a separate belt loop and then attach to the outside.
95% of my lifetime's sheaths have been done that way - separate loop - much easier to make and various thicknesses of leathers aren't needed.

Tags
blade, knife