MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-23-2016, 07:47 AM
Guru

steels

Hey guys 2 questions about steel. first has anyone heardof this bright knight steel? when I was at the show I came across a few knives they said were made from bright knight steel. it has a very unique look almost like chome (slightly different but very similar) shinyer than even a polished knife. and unlike a polished knife it doesn't need to be flat and no grind scratches one was said to be ground to 120 grit and you could still see the scratch marks but like I said looked like chrome. I assume there has to be some sort of treatment after grinding to make this. the guy that made them wasn't at the table when I was there his son was and didn't seem to know to much but he did say its cause of this bright knight steel I did some searching online cant find anything about it maybe something new? any one ever heard of it?

second so you guys know I am building a traditional tanto ideally its a step towards doing a full size katana wich was one of my goals when I first started knife making (I thought in the beginning, yeh ill make one or 2 knives then make a katana...haha) anyway there were also 2 tables at the show of guys that make katanas both tables we basicly the same there were 2 guys "selling the swords" and the "master" was sitting there sharpening and polishing blades...it was funny both tables on opisat side of room were doing the exact same thing. well on one table I talked to the guy selling and on the other I talked to the guy selling and the "master" although his English wasn't great...(that was another theme there were a lot of guys from other country's that didn't speak good English) but anyway they all told me the same thing when I told them I was using 1084. they all said no if I am going to do it from a single steel use 1075 instead. ideally you forge 2 steels togather witch I am not going to try that yet as I don't have much forging experience but can anyone explain this why 1075? I though 1084 would be better for that than 1075? oh they also told me not to even go near 1095.. does any one have a idea why ??

Tags
1084, 1095, art, beginning, blades, building, flat, forge, forging, grind, grinding, hamon, katana, knife, knife making, knives, made, make, making, sharpening, show, steel, tanto, traditional