MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 01-13-2002, 01:59 PM
jar

Cross draw sheaths.

I have been looking for a source for cross draw sheaths. Often I'm wearing a pistol on my strong side so my knife goes on the weakside. While I can draw it with my left hand, I'd like to be able to use my right hand.

Do any of you offer your buyers a choice of getting two sheaths when they buy a knife, one for strong side and the other for weak side wear? If the sheath is a tooled presentation type, do you think the buyer would accept a plain working sheath as the second one? How much difference would it make in the price?
Old 01-14-2002, 09:33 AM
helmar4578

jar---finding a maker for cross draw sheaths is no problem as their are many of us that are capable and willing to do so. The catch is to find a knifemaker that is willing to make two sheaths for one unsold knife. Underline that "unsold" as that is the key ingredient here. At this point the knifemaker does not know what the buyer has in mind for that knife as far as a carry system is concerned. Due to the fact that these will not be generic type sheaths, one can readily understand why the knifemaker would not be desirous of investing too much time, money, or effort in their construction. Having knives without sheaths is one thing, having sheaths without knives is a different game. How many buyers do you know who would buy a sheath and then look for a knife that would fit it? It is almost a "given" that the knifemaker will provide a sheath for most knives he sells but this is no indication that this sheath will be one that the buyer would have chosen, had he a choice! This is the reason there are custom sheath makers such as myself, Gary Graley,Kenny Rowe, Bob Schrap, to mention a few. You mentioned cost and this is a feature that is as varied as the pricing of knives, which can go from the sublime to the ridiculous. Do not expect a break in the price because you want "two" instead of "one". That would not qualify as wholesale. After all, you are talking two different patterns or designs here. My suggestion would be to find the knife you desire first and then make arrangements for the sheaths you want. You might have purchased the knife from a maker that can make you the outfit you want, if you are fortunate! Shop around!
Old 01-14-2002, 09:43 AM
ansoknives

I would imagine that 1 sheath is enough.....on the right side it rides outside belt and on the left side it is turned so the back is out and the sheath is under the belt.....what do you think?
Old 01-14-2002, 01:10 PM
MtMike

jar
there are several of us who do custom order work, just depends on exactly what you want. In some case it also depends on how long you're willing to wait, as someof the better known makers also have backlogs. Send me an email with your requirements (a pic of the knife would be helpful !) and I'll let you know what I could do for you. Crossdraws are becoming more popular for smaller to mid size blades, even horizontals for 3-4 inch pieces.
On your last post (snap-scratching) amen to everything posted. BUT sometimes security is a more important factor, and a snap is a good idea. But no good sheathmaker I know will leave the bare metal exposed to any part of the knife. email me at bartolm@earthlink.net.
MtMike
Old 01-14-2002, 03:49 PM
DC KNIVES

jar,I've sold two sheaths with one knife before,several times.But as Sandy stated, it is usually when ordered that way.I'll make a field sheath and a dress sheath.Dave

Tags
knife, knives