MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 06-21-2006, 03:41 PM
Guru

15N20 liners/frames

Hey Ed, I was wondering if I can pick your brain about using 15n20 on your folders.

I have some relatively thick 15n20 (.090) that I was thinking of using for some slimline folders. I haven't done a folder before nor anything with 15n20 so I'm wondering how you go about spring tempering them. I actually think it's about spring tempered now, but I think I'll want to aneal it before I go drilling, grinding and cutting slots in it, I guess since it's thin I could just do it, but I'd like to know what you think.

Thanks a million,

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 06-22-2006, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
15N20 will work just fine for liners. What I do with mine is.... throw it into the tempering oven at 550-600F and bake it for 2 hours. That's it! If you try to harden it, then temper it the stuff will warp....maybe not ALWAYS, but enough of the time to make me not do it. I've noticed that different batches of 15N20 sometimes work a little differently. By that I mean that sometimes pieces will seem hard, even though they've been "tempered" as I decribed above.
.090 is pretty heavy stuff for liners. Most of the time when using 15N20, I try to keep it .050 or less.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 06-22-2006, 06:25 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

600 degrees for 2 hours? That's it? Geez, I wish somebody had told me that! I just put about 7 pounds of 15n20 through a 36 hour annealing process. Before I annealed it I could drill a hole in it but 3 or 4 holes would be the end of a drill. After the annealing, I was able to drill about 160 holes with one drill bit....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-22-2006, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Sometimes it can still be tough to drill/tap, but if you use cobalt or carbide (which is about the only bits I keep in the shop anymore), it's not much of an issue. A small dab a "crisco" (yea, I actually use Crisco, it's much cheaper than tapping oil, and it works as well or better) on your tap, and everything works fine for me.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 06-22-2006, 07:32 PM
Guru

Thanks for the replies guys, and sorry for the confusion Ed, I'm planning on using the .090 for a framelock (or 6) not a liner, so really it will be just a very thin frame as opposed to a thick liner. Btw, I only buy cobalts now too, broke/dulled too many 1/16ths drilling thick stainless.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --

Tags
knives